Betta with Fin Rot

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Twoapennything

Aquarium Advice Freak
I think my betta, Sayonara, has fin rot. I went to Petsmart and bought anti-fungal and tetracycline medicines, and am treating accordingly. I'm attaching a picture:

Attachments

• Fin Rot - Betta.jpg
    Fin Rot - Betta.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 136
Hmmm, well is he a CT? Clean water will work much better than meds. :)

(y) for the advice here..

Also, antibiotics can destroy your biological filter, in turn creating bad water quality by causing ammonia and nitrite spikes, of which will compound the problem while trying to make it better.

I would forgo the antibiotics and do daily water changes.

Just a picture update on Sayonara's fin rot. I'm changing the water every 1-2 days.

Attachments

• Fin Rot - 01.jpg
    Fin Rot - 01.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 129
  • Fin Rot - 03.jpg
    Fin Rot - 03.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 117
  • Fin Rot - 04.jpg
    Fin Rot - 04.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 106
  • Fin Rot - 05.jpg
    Fin Rot - 05.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 110
Are you seeing clear growth? His bottom fins look shorter now, but the old could have just fallen off. When my bettas bite their fins off, I put Stress-Coat with aloe in there, to help out. :)

So, Sayonara still has fin rot. I don't have a pic, but if you look at the last pics I posted, comparatively, Sayonara doesn't have length in any of his fins. I haven't been perfect about daily PWCs, so I will do my best to make that a priority. Is there any point at all in putting either Melafix or Bettafix into the tank, or would that just be something that would make ME feel better, while really doing nothing at all to help?

How long should I wait before considering medications?

Back
Top Bottom