Betta With Guppies?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Davies97

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have heard that bettas nip a guppies but i have heard that they are good together. Has anyone got any experience with both together

What size tank is this?

I wouldn't do it, that's for darn sure. When you have flowing fins on both species, that's never a good idea with betta tank mates.

Have you ever tried your betta with a tank mate? Some don't do well.

If you want to go ahead and try, just be sure to have a spare tank as a backup plan if it doesn't work out.

I tried that once and ended up taking the betta out because my male guppies thought he was a female and tried to breed him and wouldn't leave him alone. :)

LyndaB said:
If you want to go ahead and try, just be sure to have a spare tank as a backup plan if it doesn't work out.

It's a very good idea to have a backup plan, that can be a permanent home if needed. You just never know until you try it. But don't put them together and then go off to work or something, you might come home to some dead fish :(

I tried it once. added 3 fancies to my betta tank (10 or 15g .. was several years ago) for the first 10 mins everything was fine.. so I went to bed for the night.. work up to 1 guppy missing, 1 thrashed apart into a million pieces around my tank and 1 dead.

weird thing is when I bought the betta 2½ months earlier he was swimming freely in a community tank at a lfs

I was 16 and those were my first dead fish ever! I cried for days

rreekers said:
I tried it once. added 3 fancies to my betta tank (10 or 15g .. was several years ago) for the first 10 mins everything was fine.. so I went to bed for the night.. work up to 1 guppy missing, 1 thrashed apart into a million pieces around my tank and 1 dead.

weird thing is when I bought the betta 2½ months earlier he was swimming freely in a community tank at a lfs

I was 16 and those were my first dead fish ever! I cried for days

Awww I would have cried to. :-(
Someone recently told me is that when you put any big finned fish with a betta that the betta might think its another male betta. I've never had that trouble but it makes sense I guess.

Back
Top Bottom