Betta with popeye

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Videonut85

Aquarium Advice Regular
We've had a little 2.5 gallon aquarium with a betta that we brought home from the store not being cycled. Of course, no one at the store ever warned of cycling or anything so off we went. It wasn't until more recently I discovered cycling, this forum, and all the useful info on here.

We have had this betta for 3 months and everything was pretty good thus far. She got a little sick early on due to what I think was poor water quality (wasn't changing water often enough. Since then I've done 30% water changes twice a week. We just decided her 2.5 gallon tank was too small for her to stretch her fins and needed a bigger home. So we upgraded to a 10 gallon mansion last night. However, about 3 days ago I looked at her and thought that maybe her eyes looked a little puffier than usual. After a bit of staring, I figured I was just over exaggerating. The next day, it was the same, seemed to be about the same. We moved her to the new tank last night (her eyes didn't look any diff.) and got her in there with her new plastic plants, new decor, fresh warmed up water and a light! We didn't have a light for the small tank, so that was also an exciting upgrade.

Now, this morning, her eyes have the beginnings of those tell tale white rings around her eyes and her eyes are definitely bulging more without a doubt. What do I do?

I have not tested the water parameters yet as I know the water out of my tap is good. Ammo, nitrite free, and nitrates at about 5 ppm. She had one plastic plant and one decor item come over from the old tank, along with media from the filter (put in the new filter) to help with any bacteria that might have grown. The water temp is 74, which now I believe is too low. I notched the heater up just barely so it goes up to 75 or 76, and I'm thinking of raising it even further (but later in the day so the change is gradual.)

How should I treat her? Aquarium salt? Medicine? I assume upping the temp will help, but to what temperature?

I hate to see her like this, she's usually very happy and swimming all around, now she is hiding more and doesn't want to come out and play as much. I'm ready to leave and go to the store to pick up medicine on your word!

She just got real excited about breakfast and ate without an issue. She could be hiding a little more because she is unsure of her new environment, and not from the popeye.

Whoops! Realized I posted this in the wrong section. Disregard!

Back
Top Bottom