betta's eye is swollen

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DeirdreHoyle

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hi guys, one of my betta's eyes is a little swollen, slowly getting bigger. I first noticed it about a week ago and thought maybe he scratched it on something but it hasn't gotten better. It's a 6 gallon tank pH is around 6.8, temp is between 77 and 79 and ammonia & nitrites are 0. Any idea what's causing this? I did recently add an adf to the tank, could that be causing it?

Did he attack his reflection? I had one that kept injuring himself like that

Could you post a picture?

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Ok, here are some pictures. His scales look a little raised in the first picture, they don't really look like that in person. Although maybe they are just starting to raise :( I hope he doesn't have dropsy or something. His eye isn't all that bad, but it's slowly getting worse so I want to stop it now if I can.

Attachments

• Voltaire1.jpg
    Voltaire1.jpg
    201.9 KB · Views: 51
  • Voltaire2.jpg
    Voltaire2.jpg
    154.9 KB · Views: 48
Give him plenty of clean water, i can see his eye is slightly swollen. Has he maybe bumped it on something? Like Bettaman has said? I can also see his scales. Hopefully someone will chime in.

Give him plenty of clean water, i can see his eye is slightly swollen. Has he maybe bumped it on something? Like Bettaman has said? I can also see his scales. Hopefully someone will chime in.

Yeah I'm gonna up my water changes to twice a week. He might have bumped into something, I hope that's the issue. Are there any preventative medications I can use?

Idk about meds but to keep him from bumping his reflection, use a sharpie, even one you'll barely see and just write a few things on the glass, maybe his name and other info like feeding instructions. Mine stopped getting injured after it did that lol

Idk about meds but to keep him from bumping his reflection, use a sharpie, even one you'll barely see and just write a few things on the glass, maybe his name and other info like feeding instructions. Mine stopped getting injured after it did that lol

Haha That is such a weird trick! He really doesn't bump his reflection very much though. I put in a new carbon cartridge in the filter today and gonna do another water change tomorrow. Hoping that helps.

So I'm thinking maybe the frog scratched the betta's eye with the claws on its feet? Sometimes the betta can't see the frog and will sort of sit on top of him...it always makes me laugh but maybe when the frog was trying to escape it scratched the betta's eye. Those little claws on the frog's feet are pretty sharp looking.

Back
Top Bottom