Bettas making me curious

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Drakmanka

Aquarium Advice Newbie
So, I've been keeping Betta fish since I was a kid. I've learned a lot in the 15 years, and foolishly thought I was getting to be an expert.
Then, I decided to try my hand at keeping a female sorority tank. I researched the ever-living crap out of the topic before I even stepped into PetSmart and started looking at the lovely ladies chilling in little plastic cups.
The girls I brought home went through the introduction surprisingly well. Some chasing, some flaring, some hiding, and then everything was fine. They occasionally have a little flaring contest, or some chasing takes place, but I am honestly surprised by how well they get along.
One behavior confuses me, however, and I can't seem to find an answer: Sometimes my ladies will "dance", for lack of a better word. They flank each other, facing head-to-tail, flair their fins, and pump their pectoral fins like crazy. They slowly rotate around each other, and then eventually just take off like it never happened and it becomes business as usual.
Has anyone ever had experience with this before, and do you know what it means?

its normal. My females do this as well, and I have to say, it gets me curious aswell. As long as they don't get too aggressive, it's fine
What size tank is this? How many females? And I'd like to see pictures :D

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

They're "sizing each other up," and could lead to problems as they get older. (Most female bettas are babies or pretty young). When they get mature, some serious territorial/chasing issues can arise, and sometimes injuries or even death. I've had a sorority off and on for about four years. The babies almost always get along, but the older they get, the more chance of fights. Keep a close eye on them. With bettas, their personalities are as different as people. Some mellow, some in between, and some very aggressive.

Back
Top Bottom