Better way to get freshwater upto tempreture?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Danny.

Aquarium Advice Regular
Has anybody out there got any better methods for getting my freezing cold (5 degrees c) tapwater to 26 degrees for my pwc? I currently use the kettle after being told hot tap water is a big no no and being that our hot tap water is very cloudy anyway i dont really want to use that. But the kettle takes the piss, 8 buckets a week mean boiling 8 individual kettles taking the time of doing a water change to about an hour :/ Also as your probably aware kettles rinse electricity (about 1600w) and i was wondering if this is going to have an adverse effect on my electricity bill :/

Just use tap water. Who told you it was bad? The reason it is cloudy is because of the tiny bubbles that form in the line. All tap water coming out of the hot water heater that I've seen was cloudy. I always just set the temp from my faucet to match the tank, then fill it up.

I use water from my bathtub, and I put it into a little bucket about halfway, then I add my conditioner. Just so long as you make sure to condition and dechlor the tapwater, it should be perfectly fine to use hot.

I set that little glass bucket into my aquarium for about 15 minutes, where it can float on the top of the water and get to around the same temp as the tank, just like acclimating a fish. Just can't fill the bucket too full or it'll sink to the bottom of the aquarium!

Also, if you agitate the water with your hands, it will aid in releasing the air in the water, too. If you use a siphon to put water in, like a python, don't put the tubing under the water. Make sure to let it hit the surface so it splashes a little.

Thanks for the input there guys. I cant remember where i read it but i heard you shouldnt use hot water out of the tap. If i fill a glass with hot water here then its basically like milk cant see through it at all. Ill fill a glass and leave it to stand over night see what happens. Better than boiling the kettle loads in one day.
Thanks

Yes, hot water is often cloudy. Put some into a bucket and let it stand for 10 minutes, if it's just bubbles then the water will go clear again in this time.

What sort of hot water system do you have? A combi boiler or cylinder storage?
Hot water from a combi is fine to use as it's just mains water which has heated on the way to the tap, but if you have an old cylinder storage system you sometimes need to be careful as it may be leaching nasties into the water.

We had our immersion tank ripped out about a year ago and replaced with a proper boiler so i reckon it will be ok, ill leave a glass to stand for an hour or so and see what it looks like.
Thanks for the help :)

By proper I assume you mean a combi?
I had this same fear when I started out and I'm sure putting water which was too cold into the tank lead to the death of at least one of my fish, before everyone on here assured me using the hot water was ok.

One tip I did get told however, was if using a combi to leave the tap running at a couple of minutes first, meaning the water which was just sitting in the pipe is flushed through first.

How about trying this idea?

large bucket filled with tap water
cheap powerhead with a long tube
pyrex kettle (like the ones used to brew coffee)

I use a power head to do water changes to draw the water out quickly ,especially since one of my aquariums is on the floor. I also use it to add water from a large bucket. Hot water can be added to the bucket for desired temperature with the pyrex kettle.

Back
Top Bottom