Beware Tube Plants (even known aquatics)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CPryor

Aquarium Advice Activist
A cautionary tale:

So, I bought a Top Fin "Tropical Fern" (I think it was called that...could be wrong) after inspecting it and seeing it was a java fern. The tube said it contained 2-4 plants. I got it home and there was only one plant - I thought, "well, I'll live with that, no need to waste gas and return it".

A few weeks later, it begins to bud from the leaf tips - cool, so it IS a java....but, why was it looking like it was struggling? Weeeeell, I lift it out and realize something important that I'd missed.... no rhizome. Thats strange....so I began poking and prodding at it...and knock loose a thread. I pull it, and as it unravels, I realize that what my brain registered as a root ball is actually a bundle of black thread holding together four leaves. JUST. LEAVES.

Seriously? Do java ferns root from leaves? As far as I know, they put out new bud plants; which means I'll have to let the leaves float, rot into my tank, re-plant the wee little plants, and wait for them to get up to three or so inches JUST TO GET THE PRODUCT I THOUGHT I WAS BUYING IN THE FIRST PLACE.

Needless to say, i'll be contacting corporate - with all the negativity they already get for selling non-aquatics mislabeled, I'm sure they wont care....but buyer beware! If you buy one, keep the receipt and inspect the plant thoroughly before committing to keeping it.

That is ridiculous. Glad I had better luck before and got an actual plants when I bought one of those before.

Forget the tube plants.. I've had great luck with the packages above.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I've only had success with the swords and stems in the tubes. Crypts have been pretty hit or miss. Only one of the three ferns I grabbed had the rhizome, and it's doing dandily on my driftwood.

Like Brookster, everything I've gotten in the small packets has done well.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I think I got two swords, and a rhizome plant that I don't know what it's called. That one is spreading across a low, very very low tech 10g betta tank. I think the rhizome is 5 inches long with ten or so stems with a leaf. (by very low tech, I mean I turn the light on and off and do PWCs occasionally)

Sorry to hear this happened to you. You should talk to the manager at (where I'm assuming was) petco/petsmart. They'll usually square you away with a complaint like that. I've purchased these tubes a number of times with java fern and swords... never had a problem really. Not with a missing rhisome for sure. I must have gotten 4 ferns on separate occasions.

Here's another possible scenario... Maybe someone bought the fern prior, removed the rhisome with some plants and leaves, and returned some leaves in the tube to get a refund and pull a (dishonest) fast one. Hence getting free plants. An unknowing employee may have placed it back on the shelf and you just happen to be that unlucky customer to get it. I honestly don't think it's TopFin doing this. But yes, inspect these plants and save your receipt. Return it ASAP.

Petsmart is pretty good about taking it back. If the manager is there they might even refund your money AND give you a free replacement.

I got a Windelow in a tube last month. It contained 1 plant with 5 leaves on one rhizome, 1 rhizome with no leaf, and 1 leaf with no rhizome. I kept them all.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I had trouble with a Narrow Leaf Java Fern I bought there. The plant must of been on the shelf for a long time. The leafs came straight off the stem, and I just threw it out. Although, I got some Crypt Wendtii "Bronze" at Petsmart for half off and it is doing great! My conclusion is that you must be very picky and careful when selecting tube plants from this store.

Don't throw away if dead. Return it for exchange or store credit/refund.

Don't throw away if dead. Return it for exchange or store credit/refund.

I should've done that, but I didn't think about it at the time. The plant had some tiny Java Fern plants on the leaves, so I plucked them off and let them float in the tank.

I had trouble with a Narrow Leaf Java Fern I bought there. The plant must of been on the shelf for a long time. The leafs came straight off the stem, and I just threw it out. Although, I got some Crypt Wendtii "Bronze" at Petsmart for half off and it is doing great! My conclusion is that you must be very picky and careful when selecting tube plants from this store.

I agree, be VERY, careful. If they aren't good enough, simply don't buy them. I spent maybe 20 minutes looking at 4 plants, lol.

Wow...I have a tall fern that came as a tube plant as well, can't remember what it was labeled as. I just inspected it and it does have a rhizome, but there is black thread all wound up in it. I'm going to try to snip away at it and see what I find! I'll update in a bit. The only other tube plant I've gotten was anubias, so obviously they couldn't disguise that. I'm so disappointed in them right now :(

This is before and after. Mine has always had brown spots all over, maybe it'll do better now, besides that one leaf obviously :/

Attachments

• fern.jpg
    fern.jpg
    241.2 KB · Views: 102
This is before and after. Mine has always had brown spots all over, maybe it'll do better now, besides that one leaf obviously :/

What plant is it, java? If it is, keep the leaf, throw it in some water, you'll get little java ferns when it starts to rot.

Wow! I'm upset to know it wasn't JUST me! I'm glad you at least had a rizome hiding under there.
I called Petsmarts corporate phone and talked to someone a few months ago (this thread is old, sorry), and they said they'd log the complaint, but nothing else. To be fair, I didn't really push for a refund, I just wanted them to be aware.

Thats so frustrating! I don't know who is to blame: I researched the company that grows the plants for Petmart, but I have no idea who packages the plants :/

Maybe that's why my fern isn't growing? It's given me like 8 baby plants but the mother plant hasn't really grown an inch still, I think it still has the strong tied around the base haha maybe removing that will let them grow?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Yeah.. REALLY slow. I dose flourish and excel and upgraded lighting and it's been about 10 months and it's still about the same size as when I bought it!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom