Bichir tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Iris94

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I just heard from a relative that she has a big tank that I can have (her estimate is that its 6 feet long, yay!) and I would like a Senegal bichir (maybe more than one?) and an African knife fish. I've been interested in these fish for a while and would like any suggestions for tank mates, particularly a pleco that would work.
Also, petsmart told me they are brackish water fish that would work with silver tipped sharks. Every where else I'd read about bichir & knife said they were pure freshwater, are certain types brackish or is petsmart just horribly misinformed? Petsmart also said a sailfin pleco would work but I'm wary of trusting that.

Polypterus are pure freshwater. A canister filter would be your best option

I just heard from a relative that she has a big tank that I can have (her estimate is that its 6 feet long, yay!) and I would like a Senegal bichir (maybe more than one?) and an African knife fish. I've been interested in these fish for a while and would like any suggestions for tank mates, particularly a pleco that would work.
Also, petsmart told me they are brackish water fish that would work with silver tipped sharks. Every where else I'd read about bichir & knife said they were pure freshwater, are certain types brackish or is petsmart just horribly misinformed? Petsmart also said a sailfin pleco would work but I'm wary of trusting that.

Bettaowner has the right of it. Polypterus are a freshwater species that will only have their life shortened if put in brackish water. With Polypterus, and most carnivorous fish, high filtration is better. This is because a predatory fish produces a higher amount of waste than normal fish.

You can easily get more than one Polypterus senegalus in a 6 foot tank. Senegalus is one of the smallest Bichir species, maxing out at about 8-10 inches in the aquaria (or at least that has been my experience).

I would just make sure you get the measurements of the tank before doing anything. A 6 foot long tank can be anywhere from about 125g to 180g depending on the other dimensions. But if it isn't 6 foot long you could be in for a much smaller aquarium. Good luck!

Bettaowner has the right of it. Polypterus are a freshwater species that will only have their life shortened if put in brackish water. With Polypterus, and most carnivorous fish, high filtration is better. This is because a predatory fish produces a higher amount of waste than normal fish.

You can easily get more than one Polypterus senegalus in a 6 foot tank. Senegalus is one of the smallest Bichir species, maxing out at about 8-10 inches in the aquaria (or at least that has been my experience).

I would just make sure you get the measurements of the tank before doing anything. A 6 foot long tank can be anywhere from about 125g to 180g depending on the other dimensions. But if it isn't 6 foot long you could be in for a much smaller aquarium. Good luck!

Thanks! I won't get any fish for it until next summer (I'm moving to a new apartment) but I'd just like to have it planned out. I'm feeling pretty disappointed in petsmart, what with this and the state of their betta cups.
I was also planning on getting several filters along the back wall since I'd heard they could be messy. Would they be ok with several HOB filters or would it be too much water movement for them?
And do you have any suggestions for a pleco that wouldn't latch on to the other fish?

Back
Top Bottom