Bichir's First Planted!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I've never had that type of puffer myself, but from what I've heard on this forum, they are excellent little fish. I've heard that they have a personality that you really can't get out of other freshwater fish. I'd probably be torn too if I had the same decision to make. If you go the puffer route, some Oto cats might make for good tankmates.

Otos would be nice but I'd be a little concerned about the tank size- might be a little too small..
On more puffy note the petco near me has an infestation of MTS in four of their tanks, so he'd have a steady supply of free snails!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Hey Bichir

I've been silently following along ;)

Great to see you are joining the planted side! It's fun and very rewarding to see a tank full of plants you grew.

I see you are taking interest in the dwarf puffer.

These are awesome little fish and you will not regret it.

When you get him though, I would recommend treating him for parasites with PraziPro. Many DP are wild caught and can carry parasites with them. Even tank raised have been known to carry them. So coming from a guy that lost his puffer to this^^^ I'm trying to raise awareness as it is common.

That's great you found a snail supply you can count on.

Best of luck I'll be watching :)

Caleb

I am wanting to get a fish and tank for one of my cousins for his birthday. What would be the best thing to buy for him?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am wanting to get a fish and tank for one of my cousins for his birthday. What would be the best thing to buy for him?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You should really make your own thread,

But I would start with a 20g+. Plenty of stocking options compared to smaller tanks. Head over to the getting started section to learn about cycling a tank.

Caleb

Otos would be nice but I'd be a little concerned about the tank size- might be a little too small..
On more puffy note the petco near me has an infestation of MTS in four of their tanks, so he'd have a steady supply of free snails!

Yeah, I can see your concern. If your tank is under 15 gallons, I wouldn't get Otos. Live snails would be great for the puffer!

3 Otos will be fine in that tank.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Hey Bichir

I've been silently following along ;)

Great to see you are joining the planted side! It's fun and very rewarding to see a tank full of plants you grew.

I see you are taking interest in the dwarf puffer.

These are awesome little fish and you will not regret it.

When you get him though, I would recommend treating him for parasites with PraziPro. Many DP are wild caught and can carry parasites with them. Even tank raised have been known to carry them. So coming from a guy that lost his puffer to this^^^ I'm trying to raise awareness as it is common.

That's great you found a snail supply you can count on.

Best of luck I'll be watching :)

Caleb

Hey Caleb! Thanks for the advice, I'll certainly take care of that if I go that route.

Yeah, I can see your concern. If your tank is under 15 gallons, I wouldn't get Otos. Live snails would be great for the puffer!

3 Otos will be fine in that tank.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Hmmm if I do go puffer might do Otos since he'd probably peck a cpo and shrimps...although I do want the Otos at their happiest.

3 otos is not a good suggestion as otos will prefer a large group otherwise they are easily stress, stop eating and die young. I would suggest 8 otos minimum as a group.

3 otos is not a good suggestion as otos will prefer a large group otherwise they are easily stress, stop eating and die young. I would suggest 8 otos minimum as a group.

Thanks for the recommendation!
Here's my stock ideas that I've compiled so far-
x13 {or so} Boraras brigittae or naevus w/ some shrimp {amano} or cpo.
~or~
x1 dp w/ cpo

I'd do the DP alone or with ottos, puffers are quite nippy if they can catch the fish. It's just unneeded aggression IMO. Plus they can make a mess of the snails. Just more bioload for the tank.

With the ottos, I've kept 2 In my 75g for months and they are fat as can be. I'm sure they would prefer a school(I am looking at getting more) but with them I don't see it as essential in particular to otos.

Caleb

I'd do the DP alone or with ottos, puffers are quite nippy if they can catch the fish. It's just unneeded aggression IMO. Plus they can make a mess of the snails. Just more bioload for the tank.

With the ottos, I've kept 2 In my 75g for months and they are fat as can be. I'm sure they would prefer a school(I am looking at getting more) but with them I don't see it as essential in particular to otos.

Caleb

Sorry for the confusion, I meant a school OR a dp. Should've caught that.
I'd prefer to see the Otos in a bigger home personally, I doubt they'll ever end up in my tank.

How do you know that otos prefer an 8+ group? When I had 5 of them I never saw the interact together apart from 2 munching algae on the same rock. IMO you can keep a group of 3 otos and not have issues.

Just my 2 cents on them.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

*And now for something completely different* I was at my local petsmart looking at TC plants and a man asks me if I have a planted tank. I respond yes I'm starting one up now and when he started asking me about substrate and co2 he was amazed I knew about, and was actually dosing, the stuff!
Upon further discussion he tells me that he personally talks with, and knows Tom Barr and Oliver Knott, has buyers and sellers all around the globe and sells insanely expensive shrimps (PRL and stuff) and rare plants!
Says he apart of my local cities planted tank club so I'm for sure going to be signing up for that!

And what would said local city be?? Closest big city is all I'm wondering about

Yea thats not local for me....only a 14 hour car ride lol

Yea thats not local for me....only a 14 hour car ride lol

Lol yeah, I love how in Texas you can drive 12+ hours and still be in Texas!

Well that's aquasoil for ya I guess...I had lots of fully established bio media too, oh well. Must have been too much for it hence the nitrites.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom