Bichirs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SteveJP

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Was at a pet smart and saw a dinosaur bichir. The employees could only really tell me that they got really big 14-18". And they are very aggressive. I've usually found the info I get from there is generally wrong. Anyone have any good info on them? I can't find much on the Internet about them.

Only two types get massive

The endlcherri endlcherri that's not a typo it's the same name twice spelt wrong I know

And the other one which is the best colour but I can't remember the name

Delhazi
Weekii
Senegalese

All stay under 12"

They are only aggressive to fish they can fit in there mouth

Big fish no problems

Thanks for the info:). I really want to put one to an Oscar tank I want to build (hopefully next year). It seems that they say at the bottom/hide a lot, so the oscars shouldn't really pay attention to them. I can't really find info on preferred water conditions, but I assume about the same as oscars? I would think a 200 gallon tank with a lot of drift wood and rocks for hiding would suffice? Do they do well with other bichirs? Thank you for any help:)

Only with big bichirs like ornates and the endlii's. And the bichirs petsmart sells are albino senegalus and don't get over 11", they're actually the more peaceful of the bichir species and are a good beginner bichir. I personally have a delhezi and he's awesome. But the Oscar should be ok with only the bigger of the bichirs, like the ornates and the endlicherii endlicherii bichir. You may see a squabble over foods but I doubt anything serious will happen. And other people may disagree with me but adult bichirs generally need to be kept solo, like not alone in their own tanks like fahaka puffers but just no more bichirs in the tank. Bichirs get along with other bichirs fairly well when young but I've found that they don't do so hot together when older so I only recommend getting one.

Back
Top Bottom