BIG mama problem- 55 gallon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

chriznat20@msn.

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Ok dilemma... I need to move my 55 gallon aquarium, what do i do??? I dont want to flush all of the water, should i buy like 10 buckets and fill them up with the aquarium water and put some fish in it? What would I do with 10 buckets aftewards!!?? hehe I am only moving 4 doors down ( i upgraded my one bedroom apartment to a 3 bedroom townhouse with a basement :D )

I am sure somebody out there has moved before and had a technique that worked... help cos I want to get it over here by tomorrow (sunday) night.
Thanks again!
-Chris

If it is only 4 doors down, I say rent a U-haul truck or trailor for the tank and stand unless you can get a SUV or van, buy one 5 gallon bucket with a lid, put the fish in that. Then get two 30 gallon trash cans for the water.

This is what you can do.

First make sure the spot for the tank is cleared out and ready. Its best to save the water if possible but 10 55gal buckets is an awful lot even for just 4 doors down. You could bucket relay the water from one place to the other but you have to have 10 5 gal buckets of water sitting some place as you move the stand, tank, lights, etc.

If you elect to keep the water you can get 2 30 gal plastic trashcans. Put these trashcans in your new place out of the way. Then transfer the water from the tank to these via buckets. Then move the tank over. Ideally the more you take out of teh tank the lighter it will be. You can use the 30 gal trashcan as a place to put your fish during this whole process aswell.

:) bathtub

Clean bathtub with baking powder and rinse throughly.
Put the fish in 1 bucket and the rest of the water in the tub. Transfer tank and start walking buckets over.

I woul say no to the bathtub idea, and go with garbage cans. There are just too many things in a bathtub that could easily kill fish. Garbage cans sounds like the best idea. If divided amongst 2 or more garbage cans, the water should be manageable with a dolly cart. When you are done, you have 2 very useful garbage cans.

Somebody else told me the bathtub method too, and even though I am sure it works for some people, with my luck it would contaminate the water and kill the fish, and then i would kill myself, it wouldnt be a pretty situation :wink:

I guess what i will do is go get about 8 five gallon buckets (sound good?) and save about 75% of the water since it is time for a 25% water change anyways.

Do you think I should treat the water thats already in the tank, the stuff I am putting in buckets, with some stress coat? Will this be stressful for them, i mean taking them out of the tank and putting them in a bucket for about 1-2 hours?? I always treat tap water with water conditioner and stress coat treatment, but didnt know if i should add some to the previously treated water (about 3 weeks ago was the last water change)

Thanks guys, the weather here in michigan is crazy today so I am going to do this tomorrow or tuesday.
Thanks again!!!
Chris

Personally, I've only ever saved about 25% of the water when moving. Used the rest new water at new house, treat w/dechlorinator, make sure temps are good, put fish in. I have lost a few fish during/after a move, but not many. (I used to move a lot when I was younger). If you can do 1 new trash can, and 3-4 buckets, you'll be fine. Besides, IMO, you can never have too many fish buckets!

You are in a good situation, only 4 doors away, tap water will be virtually the same. Thats a big plus, your fish are used to this water from water changes and top off water. Stress on them should be minimal.

One more thing, either move the fish first, or last. Don't let any of the other moving stress interrupt your tank moving. Personally, I suggest last, cuz then you have less on your mind, the rest of the move is done.

chriznat20@msn.com said:
Will this be stressful for them, i mean taking them out of the tank and putting them in a bucket for about 1-2 hours??

Moving sucks! I just moved 2 tanks in the last month. I put the fish in a 3 gallon rubbermaid square bucket. I did have 2 neon tetras that got sucked up in the siphon hose, so they rode in a 5 gallon jug- and were a pain in the butt to get out of there - it was one of those with a very narrow opening. All of the fish were out of the tank (in the bucket) for about 3 hours - 2 1/2 hour car ride then 30 minutes of my screwing around. All of the fish survived and look great, so hopefully you're as lucky as I was!
It was quite a sight - I was moving the rabbits at the same time, too. 4 bunnies in 2 pet carriers in the back seat with a 5 gallon jug seatbelted between them and the fish in the passenger seat. And about 6 jugs of water in the truck with more bunny food than you can shake a stick at! 8O

I would go along with corvucorax, the water does not really have anything beficial in it, all bacteria are on your decorations, gravel, plants and in your filter. Moving 4 dors down is perfect and no need to worry about water quality and such as it is more-or-less the same. I would save enough water to keep the decorations and gravel covered, move my filter as is and prep the new ater with dechlor. Leave to stand for an hour or so, just to get the temp up, and pop the fish in again.

Putting the fish in bucket for an hour or so would not do them any harm as long as you have an airstone of some kind putting air iinto the bucket for them. I use a black bucket and cover the top, this I have found from personel experience is less stressful for the fish. I have moved a number of large tanks 2/3/4 hours away and as yet, touch wood, not lost a fish.

If you want get a tub and as you drain the water form your old house empty it into the tub in your new house and move the fish, move the tank and then move the fish into the tank.

Good luck.

First off, I couldnt have done it without all of you guys (and gals!)
I moved the fish tank today. I went and bought a new 33 gallon garbage can, a huge 25 gallon bucket (with rope handles) and three 5 gallon buckets.
I filled the 3 five gallon buckets with aquarium water and put about 5 fish each in the buckets. Then I filled the garbage can about 60% full and put all of the decorations and plants in there.
Finally, I filled the 25 gallon bucket with the rest of the water.
We carried the tank on the stand to my new apartment, it was verrrryyy heavy with just the gravel and residual water left in the gravel!
However, the process took no longer than 45 minutes. All fish survived (knock on wood!) I also didnt put all of the water back in and automatically did a 30% water change ( it was time! )
Tested water, perfect as usual, temp is great. Fish seem really happy.
Thanks again everybody!!!
:D :D :D :D

I agree with Corvuscorax. Save 25% of the water, your fish will be fine. Most of the nitrosomer bacteria live in the substrate and on the surfaces of filter pads and bio-wheels etc. Your bio-filter will bounce right back. If your taking the gravel out. don't wash it or let it dry out, And some of those bacteria will survive the move. Personally, I am a big guy I'd grab a rugged friend and move it with the gravel and residual water in it, stand and all. That way much of the bio-filter is going to remain intact.

BTW note to the advisors. I know we talk about it all the time. But we really need to get a good string going on cycling and the facts that nitrifying and nitrosomer bacteria are "not" primarily in the water, they are primarily on/in porous surfaces. This "old water theory" many hobbyist hang on to is from the 50's. I do 50% water changes every 10 to 14 days. My fish love it and the water sparkles its so clean. And it never affects my bio-filter for more than a spike lasting less than a day. The only additives I normally use is Stress-Coat and Stress-Zyme with every water change. Works for me.

anybody ever moved an established tank a large distance? new state? have you just torn down the tank, sold/gave away the fishes and started all over? I can't imagine trying to move all that living matter when it takes many hours/days to transport..

In a couple of months my wife and I will be moving from the East of England to the West, the distance we are moving is +/-1 - 1 1/2 hoursn ot a long distance but when you have a 130G, a 90G bow front and a 30/35G it will take some moving and planning. But the above is the way I plan to move, I have spoken to my LFS and he is kindly going to supply me with fish bags and the polystyrene boxes he gets his fish delivered in. If I ask nice, he might even help move. :lol:

Back
Top Bottom