bigger tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jenny H.

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
OK so I have a 5 gallon tank that I think if officially cycled. But when I started I didn't know anything, not that I know it all now. But, I need to get a bigger tank. I don't have a lot of space but where I have the 5 gallon now I can fit a 10 gallon. My question is, if I use the same filter and rocks and water that's in my tank now and put it in the 10 gallon will it be cycled or will I have to start all over again?

Should be fine if you use the same filter. No need to use the water as very little if any bacteria live in the water column itself. I've upgraded tanks and changed everything (substrate, decor) except the filter and had no issues with mini-cycles. Just keep in mind the filter you have now may not be enough to filter a 10 gal tank so you might need to upgrade filters and just use the media from the current filter into the new filter and then if there's room fill the rest with new media.

Also your filter has enough bacteria for your current stock. If you add more fish to the 10 gal do it slowly and check parameters daily as it may cause some spikes at first. A 10 gal isn't a huge jump from a 5 though; if you can go bigger, you should.

My filter is for up to 15 gallon tank, so it should be fine for a 10 gallon. I would love to get a bigger one but i have no room for anything bigger. i have 2 small fish and i just want to get 2 more for my son.

I think as long are your careful about stocking it should be fine. I try to take a good amount of water if i'm transferring fish, thinking to them it would sorta be the same as a partial water change, don't have to worry so much about acclimating them to the new tank that way. What kind of fish do you have? I would prolly wait atleast a week or 2 before adding new fish the the new tank, so any lost bacteria can be replaced before adding to the bioload.

Back
Top Bottom