biggg problem please help many problems

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Saltghost2k25

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
- soo i have my 20 gallon saltwater know for 6 months
-i always water change from rod water bought in bottles from my local grocery store
-i recently purchased my first coral a green star polyp-it opened the first day but since then it never opens up- i thought my pepermint where disturbing the piece thats why it didnt open?
my ammonia is 0. nitrite 0- nitrate 0-
i have a nano remore protein skimmer and very strong lighting.
my salinity is 1.024-1.025 range
my ph should stay at 8.4 because i use marine buffer..

there are also this microbubbles on my tank--what r they please help..!!!
i will greatly appreciate help-please im only 15-my parents are getting mad

pics please help

Attachments

• image-3623467685.jpg
    image-3623467685.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 286
  • image-418237165.jpg
    image-418237165.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 277
  • image-2684120071.jpg
    image-2684120071.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 283
  • image-4190524722.jpg
    image-4190524722.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 290
Sometimes GSPs like to close up for a little while. I have had one for a few months and it is growing like crazy but closed up the other day and hasn't opened at all. If the purple matting starts to loose it's color then there is means for concern.

my gsp havnt opened for 2 days..
and do u know anything about the bubbles on the glass??
what is the purple stuff on the live rocks how do i get ride off ?? thank you lots

The purple on live rock is a very beneficial type of algae, you don't want to get rid of it! In fact, over the life of your aquarium it will build up in non viewing areas (the back).

The GSP might take several days, even a week or so to open. Like I said above, don't worry unless the purple base of it looses color.

As far as the bubbles, did you try getting rid of them with a scraper or magnet? Do they come back? I have microbubbles in my tank but they float around and are from air being introduced in the plumbing. From the pic, your issue doesn't look like microbubbles.

like the weird part is that the coral piece opened up the first and second day i got it and been closen the last 2. here are more pics..

Attachments

• image-636047279.jpg
    image-636047279.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 257
  • image-1630516256.jpg
    image-1630516256.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 227
  • image-107340437.jpg
    image-107340437.jpg
    30.9 KB · Views: 225
Mine man is right,GSP close up for a day or two every time you handle ,move them or they get disturbed.I would suggest you maybe stack the rock a little and place it as high as you can.

It looks to me like you have slime algie. If the dark purple on the rocks comes off easy than that's probably what it is. If that's what you have you need to get rid of it or it will take over everything. Get as much of it out as you can and treat with red slime remover. This happened to me in my 28g and I lost everything

I fragged some gsp about two weeks ago and put it in my tank. It just today started to open up.

I too see the cyano. We have a good article on it in our article section in the SW articles. The remover is only a band aid solution. It does not solve the problem. Find out where the source is and eliminate it. Usually overfeeding and tap water are to blame.

i kinda belief the purple stuff on the rocks is unhealthy slime. i dont know how it got there or how to cure of it.
i peformed a water change today and when i picked up the rock it felt very slippery.

how do i pervent this from happening more and how do i cure it..the coral frag opened today :)

Attachments

• image-3549934844.jpg
    image-3549934844.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 192
The purple algae is Coraline and is very beneficial to your tank. It's a bad move but I guess you could scrub it off. Also, I would recommend leaving your rocks alone during a PWC, putting your hands in the tank and moving rocks unnecessarily just adds stress to your livestock for no reason.

I don't see any coraline in any of the pictures posted. All I see is red slime witch is a bacterial algae and will kill everything. You need to scrape it all off and get as much out of the tank as you can and treat your tank with red slime remover. Your fish store should have something to help you.

soo is it red slime or coraline-the rocks are pretty slippery when i pick them up..

could it be coraline..here are more pictures that i hope help

thank you lots

Attachments

• image-3633451829.jpg
    image-3633451829.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 174
  • image-3349148146.jpg
    image-3349148146.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 176
  • image-1186464020.jpg
    image-1186464020.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 178
Coraline algae does not scrape off. Red slime algae does. Cut you lighting back to 8 hours a day. If you have fish feed every other day and do pwc every other day. It will all be gone within 2 weeks. Remove what you can by hand.

how would i try scrapping it and is 8 hours on long enough for my coral frag?

Oh yeah 8 hours is plenty. Typically you can just put you hand in and pull it off . Try using an old toothbrush to see if any comes off I'd so it is slime algae.

okay im going to try tommorow can i still buy more coral frags or wait till thank you

Back
Top Bottom