Bio balls during cycling

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ReefChief

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So day #2 cycling with 40lbs LS and about 5lbs LR and 25lbs base rock in 29 gallon Bio Cube. I am interested in purchasing CPR SR3 skimmer soon when i add live stock but recently read that when adding protein skimmer, you have to slowly remove bio balls day by day till all is gone to insert protein skimmer not to damage the bio thats already produced.

So my question is, can i cycle without bio balls and any sort of media in chamber 2? I want to do this to eliminate the slow process of removing bio balls and most importantly, dont wanna mess with and take the risk of hurting the bio that has settled in my tank.

ReefChief said:
So day #2 cycling with 40lbs LS and about 30lbs LR in 29 gallon Bio Cube. I am interested in purchasing CPR SR3 skimmer soon when i add live stock but recently read that when adding protein skimmer, you have to slowly remove bio balls day by day till all is gone to insert protein skimmer not to damage the bio thats already produced.

So my question is, can i cycle without bio balls and any sort of media in chamber 2? I want to do this to eliminate the slow process of removing bio balls and most importantly, dont wanna mess with and take the risk of hurting the bio that has settled in my tank.

I'm new to saltwater and I too am cycling a bio cube 29. I removed the bio balls as soon as I got it. It's been up and running now Sunday. Just Yesterday I did a water change used RO water from my friend who makes it for a bunch of us. Yeah we kick in every now and then to help him with costs but it helps to know what your getting. Already mixed and tested.

Anyway back on track. Right now I just have salt and water nothing yet. Getting some more things to add today for cycling. I think the guy said rock, I forget. He wanted my salt levels to be ideal first, which is now at 1.025 and has been since 11pm last night.

I'm new to saltwater and I too am cycling a bio cube 29. I removed the bio balls as soon as I got it. It's been up and running now Sunday. Just Yesterday I did a water change used RO water from my friend who makes it for a bunch of us. Yeah we kick in every now and then to help him with costs but it helps to know what your getting. Already mixed and tested.

Anyway back on track. Right now I just have salt and water nothing yet. Getting some more things to add today for cycling. I think the guy said rock, I forget. He wanted my salt levels to be ideal first, which is now at 1.025 and has been since 11pm last night.

So what will you replace your bio balls with?

Cycling w/out the bio-balls is completely OK since the ammonia consuming organisms the cycle establishes will live on the 30 lbs of rock.

You are testing for nitrites and ammonia, right??

Cycling w/out the bio-balls is completely OK since the ammonia consuming organisms the cycle establishes will live on the 30 lbs of rock.

You are testing for nitrites and ammonia, right??

I havent yet but will do first thing in the morning. Like i said, it's only been day 2.

Most of my rock is base but do have a couple pieces that are live along with the sand. Is this sufficient for cycling?

well won't the live sand(LS) and live rock(LR) be doing the bio-load? shouldn't be any need for the bio-balls. you can add the protein skimmer at any time it will just skim what it can until you get some livestock in there and then you'll see it change as foam will be a different color and you'll need to empty the collection cup.

Back
Top Bottom