Bio-Balls

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

odessadude

Aquarium Advice Activist
I don't know how many of you use Bio-Balls in your FWT, but I thought I would share this with you.

A few weeks back I completely empted my 135 gallon tank and 75 gallon sump. It had been up and running for about five years and I wanted to completly change the looks and fish. I have several other tanks, so moving the fish were no problem.

I took out all of the Bio-Balls from the two over flow boxes, which almost filled two five gallon buckets. They looked like they had plenty of waste on them and I was contimplating how I was going to clean them. It looked like a real pain in the rear to wash them one by one.

Well the wife was doing some shopping at the mall that day, so I threw both buckets of balls in the washer. I put the hot water cycle on and let it rip. While I was watching them adgitate, I started to worry about the spin cycle. I was worried they would get out of hand and get jammed between th tub and side wall.

Well all was fine the centrifical force never allowed then to get very high in the tub. It worked so good, I ran them through another cycle.

When it was all said and done, they looked like brand new product and they were dry as a bone.

Bio-Balls in the washer, I highly suggest it!

BTW, the wife never noticed it.

Didn't that also remove all of your biofilter ? And wouldn't there also be a risk of soap residue on them ?

If it's a front loading washer, it should rinse them just fine. Most top loading ones suck at rinsing.

*spends too much time around appliances*

I would still worry about soap. It may rinse well, but the bio-balls have tons of pores that the soap can still remain.

Did I mention putting soap in there NOT! The whole idea was to start over fresh, so I could care less about the biofilter.

Works like a charm.

Sometimes you have to think out of the box.

I don't think they were referring to you putting soap in. I think it was about previous use. It is a possibility. I am interested to see how it works out.

It's up and running as of last weekend. I put one big Angel and three Aussie's in there. So far so good. It's like the old saying goes, it's much easier to care for a big tank then a little tank.

I would still worry about soap. It may rinse well, but the bio-balls have tons of pores that the soap can still remain.

Well, there's one machine out there that does seven rinses, but most people don't have that. I see your point... any machine may not rinse it perfectly.

Nope, the fish are all healthy and the tank is doing good!

Running three weeks straight. I would highly suggest this to anyone.

I do the same thing with some cleaning sponges I use. The ones that have a nylon mesh outside go in the washer/dryer instead of the trash.

I seriously doubt any soap residue would still be on the inside of the washer. If someone was really worried about that tthey could just use the dishwasher instead, but of course you would have to have something to contain them, lol.

Neat idea.

Thanks, I'm glad someone else on this thread thinks out of the box.

It's kind of like reading a book about breeding fish. The author says do this and do that. I have been more successful doing things my own way.

I'm not saying it's completely safe, or to go pour DAWN into your betta vase or chlorox in your glodfish bowl, but everyone always freaks out over bleach or soap products near their fish. Bleach breaks down pretty quick, and soap is organic too, no? (many of the same compounds in fertilizers). I guess the point here tho is RINSE YOUR BALLS THOROUGHLY no matter what you clean them with!

odessadude said:
I took out all of the Bio-Balls from the two over flow boxes, which almost filled two five gallon buckets. They looked like they had plenty of waste on them ...

Two five gallon buckets of balls covered in fish crap and bacteria, and you just dumped them in the same washing machine you put your clothes in?

It's definitely thinking outside the box, if by "the box" you mean "reasonable standards of personal hygeine."

I'm pretty sure my spouse would have an aneurysm if I dumped a fish septic tank in the washing machine, without even considering the fact that you didn't use soap and the balls probably did plenty bouncing around above the waterline.

I will bet that these Bio-Balls were cleaner then any underwear hankerchefs or whatever people normally throw in the wash. LOL

Where did you see the balls go above the water line?

They stuck together during the spin cycle and dropped like a rock when the washer.

odessadude said:
I will bet that these Bio-Balls were cleaner then any underwear hankerchefs or whatever people normally throw in the wash. LOL

Where did you see the balls go above the water line?

They stuck together during the spin cycle and dropped like a rock when the washer.

Let's not talk about the skidmarks. I just get dark underwear and pretend they're never there. :)

And hankerchiefs are pretty nasty ... and when people use old-school non-disposable diapers, do they just throw them in the washing machine?

I guess it's psychological. If I took a big dump in your frying pan then threw it in the dishwasher, you probably wouldn't cook breakfast in it the next morning, even if you could prove that it had been perfectly sterilized.

I mean, there's a reason you waited till your wife was out of the house to try it.

lol!

Strange conversation....hmmm...

Anyway, odessadude, i dont dispute that it might be a good way to clean them thoroughly, but you mention you then set up a tank with some angels and used the fully clean bioballs. Did you not want to save some of the nitrosomonnas & co. from them to help mature your new tank quicker and alleviate any new tank syndrome issues? I just would of thought it might have helped...but, I don't know how bad they were I 'spose lol

Yes, thinking outside the box is always good. And I've always found as well that no matter what information the Internet or books impart you can never be guaranteed that copying the recommendations will guarantee success. Sometimes you just have to use intuition :)

Eh, well I guess he will be able to let me know what he did :)
Best source is filter media tho...

That the seachem one?
I had mixed reviews about using a bottled cycling product. I went with it in the end for my first tank, and have to say I don't think it did any harm at least. But, I think the bacteria have to be alive and refrigerated to work. At the very least though, I guess whatever was in the bottle fed the bacteria my filter developed anyways :)

Have you used it a lot, and what are your experiences? Would be interesting to see what people have found with it.

Back
Top Bottom