Bio Rings?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jacobsal91

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Have a small nano with 4 filter chambers, The first has a sponge, the second has carbon and bio rings, the third has a phosphate removing substance of some sort with bioballs, and the fourth has the pump to push out clean water. My nirtates are a bit high but
Nothing serious. Ive heard the bio rings can cause this... Any sugestions for a better combination of filtration? This stuff just came with my tank so i made the best out
Of it

Well the bio rings are the bio balls just do as they are meant to be... The high nitrate levels could be cause they are processing high levels of ammonia. You might be over feeding or your tank might be over stocked... Get an ammonia test kit and check those levels too as well as your phosphate levels... If your ammonia levels are up then that is what you need to look at reducing and the nitrates will reduce automatically...

Another reason for this might be too much bio media try using one material the bio rings or the bio balls... Also have a propped flow to the filtration materials... Have the bio media first then sponge and then the carbon and phosphate filter and finish with sponge again.

A small skimmer will help you reduce the proteins in the water too which will bring down the nitrate levels and most importantly keep doing the 20% water changes weekly with RO/DI water.

Got my water tested today and my ammonia and phosphate looks good, nitrates are my
Only problem.. Did a 25% water change today with RO water several hours ago and cleaned all the filtration components.. The glass and sand look great but there seems to be a
Lot of junk floating around the water still. And there is this white hairy looking stuff on the live rock that i can blow off with a pipet... Just not sure why this stuff is still floating around. Going to test water in 24-48 hours to see if nitrates have changed.. A skimmer is on my
List of things to get. My stock involes a percula clown, long finned fairy wrasse, some colony polyps, and a feather duster.. Fish wise im full, would like some new inverts but
I want to fix this problem first. So you basically said protein skimmer, and a second sponge?

A cleaner shrimp, some hermits and snails can do wonders... Sounds like you are doing a good job. Once the filters are cleaned you always get some stuff that come through in to the tank... Give it about 24 hours it clears up... It happens to me too.

The people at my LFS tested my water they said i was looking good. I keep finding dead hermits in my tank... Bought 5, found 3 dead ones, but theres 4 live ones in my tank now... Strange haha

Craigj247 said:
Well the bio rings are the bio balls just do as they are meant to be... The high nitrate levels could be cause they are processing high levels of ammonia. You might be over feeding or your tank might be over stocked... Get an ammonia test kit and check those levels too as well as your phosphate levels... If your ammonia levels are up then that is what you need to look at reducing and the nitrates will reduce automatically...

Another reason for this might be too much bio media try using one material the bio rings or the bio balls... Also have a propped flow to the filtration materials... Have the bio media first then sponge and then the carbon and phosphate filter and finish with sponge again.

A small skimmer will help you reduce the proteins in the water too which will bring down the nitrate levels and most importantly keep doing the 20% water changes weekly with RO/DI water.

Im not sure you quite understand how the nitrogen cycle works. Bioballs are a prominent source of decaying organic compounds meaning they produce nitrates or nitrates being the end result of these decaying organics. Bioballs/biorings trap this material. If you have live rock then there is absolutely no purpose for this media. It serves no purpose in a reef tank or Fowlr. This is not a wanted benefit in these tanks, especially reef tanks where even small amounts of nitrates can become a problem for corals.

Skimmers remove the organics completely instead of trapping them. Meaning they cannot break down into nitrates inside your tank. This is why skimmers should be absolute primary and only filtration next to live rock in a reef for critically controlling nitrates/phosphates with proper husbandry of course.

If your trapping organics with floss/ bioballs /media etc and allowing them to remain trapped they begin decay within a day producing ammonia and in turn nitrite and finally nitrate. This will remain a constant source of nitrates until removed. A skimmer will constantly be removing organic completely forgoing the nitrogen cycle.

There is a reason Bioballs and the like are referred to as nitrate factories.

You see that explains a lot actually, i cleaned the whole filter and all the components yesterday, but therr really is no need for the balls if i have the sponge. But even the sponge is holding a lot of stuff that should not be there...

Correct, the sponge doesnt help either. Skimmers, flow, proper maintenance and no rotting organics are key to low nutrient tanks and nitrate control. Its very simple concept that is often misunderstood or used incorrectly.

So basically activated carbon, a small skimmer, and maybe some
Live rock in the chambers will work better? Should i totally ditch the sponge and bio balls?

Anyone have any good recomendations on an affordable skimmer? Not sure how its going to fit in the chambers. Unless it can be under my stand, Is that possible?

Jacobsal91 said:
Anyone have any good recomendations on an affordable skimmer? Not sure how its going to fit in the chambers. Unless it can be under my stand, Is that possible?

What do you consider affordable? Lol. It is possible to put under stand if you have a sump. Without a sump your looking at a hang in the back model. I dont have much experience with the small nano skimmers.

$100 or less, And my tank is basically a biocube but andifferent brand... Its honestly all the same to me. I just want to find the right one and want to avoid drilling or modding the hood...

I really don't think your going to find a skimmer for less than $100. I've heard that the reef octopus hob skimmers are good. But more than $100.

Nunez 9002 I believe it's called is a good skimmer. I see a lot of people that have bio cubes using them. Check out intanks website they have them and also have different mods for nano tanks to get rid of the balls and everything. Just googles inTank

Back
Top Bottom