BIO-Spira product feedback

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Very interesting!!

I gotta try this! If this is true, it could really revolutionize the hobby. But for me to try it would mean another tank! hehehehehehehheeee :twisted: :twisted:

all it is 'is' canned bacteria culture ... snake oil if you ask me ;)

Hagen makes a similar product, called Cycle, and Aquarium Pharm makes StressZyme

I bet 1/2 gallon of dirty water suctioned off the bottom of a mature tank, or a good handfull of mature filterfloss contains more bacteria than the 'recommended' dosage this products perscribe ... plus, which is cheaper ;)

I would give it a try now but would like to see if anyone else has done so.

I understand what it is as I have the Hagen product "Cycle" but this new product is meant to work right away with a combo of bacteria ie Nitrospira (a newly discovered bacteria) and thought it worth asking.

As I don't have access to a mature tank etc, a product like this may just help little old impatient me :wink:

Louise

This is not snake oil. I recognize that Cycle and the similar products on the shelf do not actually cycle the tank for you, but this is quite different. I have no relationship wtih Marineland and no vested interest, other than having used the product for many tank setups. This is the actual bacteria that is grown in your tank as you go through the cycling process. Marineland isolated the two separate bacteria, the first one processes ammonia and produces nitrIte as a waste product, the second bacteria consumes nitrIte and produces nitrAte. Therefore, you put it in the tank with your FULL load of fish, and the next day you will measure zero ammonia, zero nitrite and trace nitrate - a cycled tank instantly. These bacteria must be kept refrigerated, and that is the difference between it and the other products. These bacteria are actually patented by Marineland, as they isolated them. I have used it many times and it works EVERY time. You need to understand the cycling process and I do think people new to the hobby should cycle a tank the old-fashioned way to get a feel for what the process is, but if you want to get your tank set up right away, it is an excellent product. I have used it also when I had a mini-cycle from use of medication, or removing too much gravel, etc. Add the BioSpira and the next day all the readings are normal again. Seeding your new tank with filter media and/or gravel from an established tank is still a great way to go, but you will take some time to establish the bioload in the new tank, and you can't add your full load of fish. The caveat is that BioSpira is somewhat pricey. I have never had a problem with it, and as I am the impatient type, my multiple tank syndrome is gratified in an instant!

Excellent review, Tank girl!

I read some of the marineland pages regarding this, and it was also clear to me that this was NOT the same old product marketed by other firms in the past.

I'm going to leave this here, but Tankgirl, if you would be willin to write up a review of this product, we could post it as an article, and as a sticky in the FW getting started forum.

Bio-spira has me psyched, I wanna try it out ASAP!

No offense glmcell, but follow the link in the original post, take some time and read it, this certainly seems to be real science, with testimonials from major public Aquariums and Universities!

For the record, I'm a MAJOR skeptic most of the time, not easily taken in.

I too am a skeptic, especially when it comes to shortcuts in the world of aquarium keeping, but this is a product backed up by the scientific literature.

Corvuscorax, I will write something up and submit it to you, as I can't speak highly enough about this stuff! Not that many LFS carry this product, for some reason, and it is not being heavily marketed, but I think once they come out with the saltwater version they will push it more. Maybe if more customers ask for it after reading about it on forums like this, it will become more widely available, and the price will go down! :wink:

Even if it contains the proper bacteria, that bacteria still has to be fed. If there is not enough bioload to support, the excess bacteria would soon die-off and you would still have to add livestock slowly to build bacteria back up without ammonia or nitrite spikes.

I guess if it really works as they claim, you could add a fully stocked tank (or almost fully stocked) and the biological filter could handle. However, this isn't really a good idea for many other reasons, especially for beginners. I can see where this product could be helpful if you were moving existing livestock to a new tank. You could just seed the tank and it would immediately support your existing livestock-- again assuming that it works as stated.

Yes, the bacteria has to be fed, and there is WAY more bacteria present in the "dose" you give your tank than is necessary, and some does indeed die off, so that is why you don't add a couple of fish with a full dose of the product, because you are wasting money. Also, quite often you want to stock your tank fully so that the territories are chosen at the same time, and you are not trying to add additional individuals after the territories are staked out, or you want to purchase a fish that prefers larger groups, but without BioSpira you are reluctant to add your full school at once. If you add your fish slowly, you might as well be doing a fishy cycle. If you use BioSpira you can stock your tank just as you want it to be, and allow all of the fish to grow up together, which I think is a good thing in many cases. If you do want to add fish slowly, add the BioSpira slowly along with the fish. It keeps in the fridge, and it prevents overtaxing your biofilter.

As for beginners, I think they should do a fishy or fishless cycle anyway, keeping track of their water parameters, and grow their own biofilter so they can validate the process in their minds and understand what is going on. So many beginners have not an inkling of why they have all of the common problems with new tanks, like cloudy water and fish deaths, and if they understood the nitrification process it would help them immensely. This stuff is not a requirement for good fishkeeping by any means, as you can quite easily manage the biofilter the tried and true way, but it does what it says it will do.

well shucks ... I stand corrected ;)

but I'm cheap, and no way is our local pet supply store (most sells FEED for horses and other large animals) gonna carry this stuff anyway

I'll just stick to shifting around mature filters, their media, "dirty" gravel water and regular water changes to cycle my tanks :)

i also have a personal problem with anything that is "quick and easy" ... that's usually not how things get done right ... and their statement "impossible to overdose" ... um, sure

Thanks Tankgirl, your input is exactly why I posted. After reading the info on this product I couldn't understand why after a year there didn't appear to be much of a mention of it on this site. I guess there hasn't been a real push on it for the general market.

I agree with you 100% that beginners should at least have an understanding of the nitrification process but in the same way don't think it right to use fish to cycle a tank when the understanding is so limited and the death of fish is inevitable. I am new to the hobby and pay soooo much attention to my fish during the cycle but feel terrible that I didn't know much about the whole fish keeping bit until after the LFS encouraged me to buy what I did. I am doing my upmost to keep them not only alive but happy and healthy. :D

In the 5th week of the cycle and have learnt a lot but would like to make my tank friendly for my fish. Having read your review on the product supports my way of thinking and I appreciate the time and effort you put into answering :D

:mrgreen: A big thank you to Tankgirl :mrgreen:

Louise
(it's all about the fish right?)

Your way is totally the right way, and when you have established tanks it is a pretty simple thing. However, keep it in mind (it can be mail-ordered from some suppliers) if you find yourself with a tank that "crashed" and you have sensitive fish that you don't want to risk them suffering through a short cycle, or if you suddenly need a quarrantine or hospital tank in a hurry. (Man, those folks oughta pay me!)

Bio-spira

. . . simply, it works!

29 gal new setup, added bio-spira, 6 tetras. . . end of story!

If you are worried about spending the $10 for the product to guarantee instant cycling. . . then what can I say???

One last thing. . . when you purchase a filter for you tank, make sure it is rated at least twice the size of your tank. This will be a boon in the months ahead :)

No it's true you can't overdoese this product. Think about it, this product will give you the bioload of your tank overnight (actully a couple hours but you have to get the tank to temp). The more you add the stronger your bio load can be. 8O but then you have to worry about room in the tank for fish.

I've used Bio Spira to start 4 different tanks with excellent results. I've tried it in tanks that've already begun cycling-- and it quickly brought the nitrites down and the tank finished cycling in a matter of days.

I suppose the reason I push this stuff so hard is because I'm too pragmatic for my own good. 99% of new fish keepers buy an aquarium system on impulse. The tank goes home and is filled with water. Two hours later they're back at the shop buying a tankful of "pretty fish". These folks don't want to understand the nitrogen cycle or hear about adding a fish or two a week. They want instant gratification. My philosophy is if they can add the Bio-Spira along with the fish, there'll be a few less dead fish in the world. We only see the 1% of newbies that WANT to do things right on internet fish forums and forget about all the others. I fully agree that individuals keeping animals have an obligation to know how to properly care for said animals. But this is the real world and it doesn't happen that way.....

As far as the overdosing theory goes, glmclell: the bacteria self-regulates itself according to the bio load in each tank. If all the bacteria isn't needed (ie- small enough bio load), the unnecessary bio bugs die off and become part of the bio load for the bacteria that are active in the system.

How long can Biospira survive in my fridge? It's unopened and was kept on ice the whole way home and immediately transferred to the refridgerator. I ran into a little tank stand problem and am not quite ready to start the cycle. I know the lfs uses the cute little fridge from marineland. Is it "special" in any way? Does it have an exact temp setting or something? Will my fridge at home be sufficient to keep this stuff alive?

Not sure of shelf life, may be marked on package.

Will be fine in your fridge. . . do not freeze.

Also, probably would have been OK on your trip home from the LFS without ice, unless of course the trip was going to be a long one :)

My LFS is 15 or 20 minutes away, I probably did not add the package to the tank for 40 minutes (no refrigeration during that time). Worked great!

Expect your tank to get cloudy. . . do not use any other chemicals. Try to refrain from any water chages in new tanks for one month!!!

I added 6 one inch tetras 15 minutes after dosing with package in 29 gallon tank. Don't overdue it with adding the fish, but you will need to add the fish to keep the whole cycle going.

I was told that this stuff was kind of like milk - you want to get it in the fridge as soon as you can, but it is not going to curdle if it is not kept constantly cold, and even sitting out a few hours is not going to hurt it.

I'm with Voodoo on the impulse aspect to this hobby. I find myself "needing" a new tank and I do not want to wait. Also, I found myself in need for a quarrantine tank immediately when mine got a tiny tap from a 2-yr-old with a heavy object (don't ask!) and crrraaacck.... so rush out and get a new tank, pop in the Bio-Spira with the fish, voila.

It looks great, buit how often would you use it? Once, maybe twice a year? I can just wait instead of spending my money. :mrgreen:

Once or twice a year? LOL you don't suffer from MTS like some of us! I've gone from 1 tank to 5 since May LOL

Tis worth it to me as well. Moved my guys from a 25g to a 55g and didn't have ANY problems with the cycle. Added Bio-Spira and the mature bio-wheel and the tank was good to go. Instantly. Yay!

Back
Top Bottom