Bio Spira

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

blueeyes

Aquarium Advice Regular
This is sort of continuing from my previous questions..although my tank is completely set up and ready to go- I am just waiting for the temp to reach 78 degrees.

Heres my questions regarding bio spira.
Can I add it with my fish at the same exact time? How should I go about doing this when I introduce the fish to the new tank? How often should I need to add bio spira? ALso, I have kept it cold- do I add it cold?? I wasnt sure if that would mess up the 78 degrees its at.

Tank size- 7 gallon
I plan on getting a male betta
Just added well water and a bit of aqua safe.

Thanks

Hi,
I have a 5.5 gallon tank with one betta. I used Bio-Spira too. When I added it, I poured it on my sponge filter, then put my betta right in. After 24 hours, your tank will be cycled (0 ammonia, 0 nitrites, and 20-40ppm nitrates). It's a good idea to test your paramters just to make sure that everything's ok. I saw a small ammonia spike between 0 and .25, but it cleared up by itself the next day.

Yes, add the Bio-Spira cold. Don't let it warm up. I know, I wondered the same thing -- it's cold, and you're putting it in a warm tank! But apparently it works fine! You're not adding enough to change the temperature of your tank, so don't worry about that. If you don't have a sponge filter, just pour it slowly in the water and it will settle down on your gravel.

I used 1/4 teaspoon in my 5.5 gallon tank. So since you have one betta too, you could add 1/4 teaspoon, since your bio-load will not be too big. Or, for your 7 gallon tank, you could add 1/4 + 1/8 teaspoon. The directions say you can't overdo it, so add slightly more than 1/4 teaspoon if you want. I poured the Bio-Spira right in using the 1/4 teaspoon.

After the tank is cycled, in 24 hours, you shouldn't need to add any more Bio-Spira. The bacteria will reproduce themselves too. I just added maybe 1/8 of a teaspoon the other day. I had a divider in my tank since I used to have 2 bettas. I only have one now, so I removed the divider. I added the small amount of Bio-Spira to compensate for what I was removing with the divider, but it may not have been necessary. The bacteria will reproduce and live in the sponge filter, gravel, and decorations. So, unless you use an antibiotic medicine that disrupts your good bacteria, you shouldn't need to add any more Bio-Spira. I did just in case, since I removed the divider, but I probably didn't need to. Hope this helps!

P.S. I'm not familiar with Aqua Safe. I did a google search and it said Tetra Aqua Safe is for outdoor ponds only. Is that what you have? http://www.petsmart.com/products/product_13069.shtml

You could try something like NovAqua. You don't need to remove chlorine, but it provides some slime coat enhancement. The dosage is 10 drops per gallon, but you could use half of that if you're just using it for a slime coat.

Also, don't use an ammonia remover like Amquel or Ammo-lock with Bio-Spira. These products will bind the ammonia and it won't be available to the Bio-Spira. If you use Amquel or a similar product, the Bio-Spira may not work as claimed on the package, since the ammonia remover products will bind the ammonia first and make it unavailable to the Bio-Spira bacteria.

You're welcome!

I think I was editing my post as you were reading it! I wondered about your AquaSafe product. I'm not familiar with it, but make sure you don't have the pond stuff.

Definately add the bio spira when you add the fish. I have heard you can add fish up to 24 hours later, but why wait? The bacteria is ready and hungry. I have used it 3 times with great success. I add the bio spira first, then the fish. You shouldn't need to add any more bio spira after the first time, as long as you added the proper amount. Definately add it cold. It's not meant to be warm. It's not going to affect your water temperature in the tank. If you use the bio spira properly, you will be amazed at how much fun it is to start a new tank. I was especially pleased when I used it in my 100 gal. cichlid tank. Instead of having problems adding oscars & jack dempseys in segments, I eliminated the normal territory problems associated with introducing new fish to an occupied tank.

In reply to An t-iasg-
I did get tetra aqua safe- it was recommended- and it doesnt say anything about ponds :?: It says "Makes tap water safe for fish- neutralizes chlorine, chloramine, and heavy metals harmful to fish. Enhances natural protective slime coating of fish. For fresh and salt water conditions." I guess its not necessary for well water since well water doesnt have chlorine in it, but I thought better to be safe than sorry.

One more question. Previously I DID use AmQuel. 8O It made my tank smell sooooo bad. THat is one of the reasons I came here to ask if this was normal. I was told no- dont use it. So today I rinsed everything off, my gravel, plants, filter, etc. and wiped the tank out. I refilled it with new water and put no AmQuel in it. Hopefully everything will be ok. I'm hoping that a good rinse got it all out so it won't mess up the Bio- Spira.

Tomorrow I plan to purchase a Betta and add the Bio- Spira. Wish me luck!!!! otherwise I might be back for more help! :wink:
Thanks for the great info thus far!

Hi blueeyes,
OK, that's good that the Aqua Safe says for tap water. I only found the pond stuff. Your well water doesn't have chlorine, but the Aqua Safe will take care of any heavy metals present and give the fish some slime coat enhancement, so that's good!

It's good that you rinsed out the Amquel too. I think you got it all out. It isn't slimy and sticky like Novaqua, so I'm sure all your rinsing got it out. So you will be all ready for the betta and the Bio-Spira tomorrow! I like what Gunnie said -- The bacteria is ready and hungry! That's a good way to put it!

Take an insulated lunch bag with you to bring the Bio-Spira home. The only lfs around me that has it is an hour away, so I took my lunch bag and one of those little ice packs, and some paper towels to wrap the Bio-Spira in so it wouldn't touch the ice pack directly. Good Luck!

I was very lucky to be able to find Bio Spira right down the road from where I live!!! :D From what I hear, in some places it is very difficult to even find a place that sells it!! (Many people have to special order it!) I took it home a couple days ago. They were kind enough to wrap it in newspaper- I only had a short drive home though. It's refrigerating now. I am acutally going back to the same place tonight to bring home my new betta :D I really hope this works!!! I am excited to try it too.

I will most likely post a message later this evening, when I get the Betta settled. :wink:

wait- one more thing. I noticed (when I turned the light on the tank on) this morning that there was a lot of stuff (not really sure what the heck it is.. not solid, just looks like particles :?: ) floating all over the top surface of the tank. I really didnt notice this with the spring water,but now that I used well water, i see this. I havent checked any of my levels yet with the new well water. Will this go away or is it normal?? Just a question and I'd rather be sure before I put a new fish in. (I know, I'm asking so many questions now...but I AM learning!!!! :wink: )

Hi,
That's great that Bio-Sprira is so easy for you to get! Now you'll be tempted to set up hundreds of tanks ! :D

That's weird about your water. I don't have well water, so I'm not sure. My best guess is that it's something, some kind of mineral or metal residue, that the aqua safe didn't take care of. Do you have any filters between your well and the faucet? Maybe consider one of those Brita faucet-mounted filters?

I saw on another post (pretty much the only thing I remember from those emmi posts!) that you can run a piece of paper over the surface of the water. That may remove the particles, but if they are too numerous and heavy, you may need some kind of filter to remove them. When I was researching filters for my 5.5 gallon, I decided to get a sponge filter. Sometimes I see very fine particles in my water, and the sponge filter doesn't get them out. It's just pretty much a place for the good bacteria. There are some small internal filters that may work for you. Duetto is one brand. I saw one in Wal-Mart that looked good. It was a Whisper brand, and it looked like it was the right size for a small tank. I'm not too good with filters, but I think a HOB type may create too much current for a betta. I even run my sponge filter with a gang valve -- it splits the airflow coming from the air pump so the sponge filter only gets part of the airflow. The remainder just goes out into the room air. Hope this helps somewhat, and tell us all about your new betta when you get him!

Well......I got my new Betta!! He's very active! I looked him over and over and over again before I said yes. Man, I felt so sorry for all the Bettas I saw today- all in small little bowls. :cry: I wish I could take more than 1 but I know I can't. I still can't think of a name yet... :? Right now, he's exploring his new home. I guess its totally different when you have a 7 gallon home compared to a small bowl!!!

Thanks for the info on the water. I did notice that when I took the bag out (the one I had the fish in the tank as I let him adjust to the temp) there was whitish powder like stuff on it. It must be from the water (since it is hard water- should I add more aqua safe??)...unless from the bio spire???? Not sure. I guess I will have to watch all my levels, hey? I already have a whisper filter that hangs over the back of the tank. I did notice at first my Betta kind got sucked over there by the filter. Now he's ok. I'm assuming he just wasn't used to having a filter. I tried to turn it down just bit.

I put the bio spira in just like you said- I used the 1/4 and 1/8th tsp but a actually dripped a little more in there by accident :oops: I hope thats not a problem!!! I know you said that you can't over do it (thats what it says on the pack as well) but I just wanted to make sure.

OH yeah, another question I had was the Bio Spira said do not use a florescent light (I'm not sure why- does it have something to do with the bacteria growth?). I have a florescent light on my tank and I wanted to ask when would it be okay to use it? Does it matter how long then I keep the light on?

So then in 24 hours I will test my levels. I will be back with the results since I want to make sure that everything is ok, being this is my first time and all trying this. I'm very excited though. My (nameless) Betta seems to be enjoying his new home (well, in my opinion :) ) and my cats are very curious about their new friend I brought home...LOL

Since the bio-spira is "good" bacteria...you can add as much as you want, and it won't ever hurt your fish. It just won't necessarily help your tank either! Not sure what the powdery stuff was....but I'd definitely hold off on adding anything more. Just gotta be patient for a little bit (do start testing the water tomorrow though)

I'm not sure on the fluorescent light, but if they recommend holding off, then I'd stick by that. A couple days with good test readings, and you should be fine to turn the light on. How much you leave it on is up to you...keep in mind that if you leave it on a great deal, you might get algae, and it can also (esp. in a small tank) warm the water up a bit.

Just a note on Bettas...they actually don't like a strong current in their water, in fact it can stress them out! I'm not sure if the whisper filter has a flow adjust...but if it does, turn it all the way down.

Heh I used more then you in my 2 1/2g betta tank. No biggie; the only result I've seen from overdoing Bio-Spira is some initial cloudiness.

You can throw the light on right now if you want; they are talking about UV sterilizers, which are used to kill unwanted tank nasties and will affect the Bio-Spira, not a regular flourescent light.

Betta's don't like too much surface agitation; they go to the surface to breathe as well as breathe in the water, and the males make their bubble nests up there. Good move turning the filter down.

Thanks,
I think I am even going to try to turn the filter down more- he still seems to be caught in the current a bit.

I can't say anything about bio-spira as we don't have it in the UK, Grrrrrrrr.
But you are ok with the Tetra Aquasafe,they make it for aquariums and ponds. And congratulations on your new Betta, i hope he has a long and happy life in his new home.

Well water has all kinds of minerals and whatnot in it from the ground. It was prob. something like that floating on your water. Your county gov't should have info on what you can expect from your particular soil, or should be able to test it and tell you exactly what's in it. It shouldn't be a problem though, unless it's limestone or something else that can harden water. I have well water and it's fairly hard and alkaline, and if I run alot of water out of it, it gets cloudy.

Betta's are very tolerant of hard water, and fish actually need some minerals.

water test results

you're right- i did notice that my water was pretty cloudy when I first poured it. But it's not anymore. It has to be the well water. I am going to research that a bit. I am curious to know more about my well water. I don't drink it cuz I preferred bottled, but I know that I could- its safe for us people to drink.

Heres the update on the water tests I ran-- its officially 21 hours after I added Bio Spira...(I had to run the tests now since Ihave to go to work for the rest of the night and I'm doing a 12 hour shift. I hope thats ok)

pH- above 7.6 My test only reads up to 7.6 so I have no clue just how much the pH is <aqauarium pharmaceuticals test>

Ammonia- it read lighter than the .25 ppm but there was something there!so I have no clue what I should take that as. I really didnt care for this brand <Red Sea?> Unless I did it wrong or am not understanding it. But if anyone could suggest a different/good brand- that would be great!

Nitrite Oppm <aquarium pharmaceuticals>

Nitates- 10 ppm about. <Wardley>
I guess there could be room for error, although I thought I did everything correctly. (but then again, this is my first time)
Could someone please let me know what I should do? Whats up with the pH? And I thought the Ammonia should be 0 after bio spira? Unless I didnt give it enough time. I could check it tomorrow morning??

Thank you.

If you are REALLY REALLY nice to me Terry, I might be persuaded to smuggle some Bio-Spira over the Atlantic (we're buying our tickets to the UK tonite *grin).

wouldn't worry about your pH. Most fish tolerate a very wide range of pH's...what they don't tolerate is big CHANGES in pH...a lot of people panic when their pH isn't neutral, and dump a bunch of pH adjusters in, which can stress your fish. I generally advise everyone to steer clear of these additives...because your ammonia levels are dependant on the amount of free H+ (=pH)...so by fussing with pH changing additives...you effectively altering a lot more. Next time you're near your LFS, you might want to pick up a high-end pH test, just to see where you're at. Unless you're well beyond 8.0....I don't think it warrants worry.

Your bio-spira seems to be working, as indicated by the presence of nitrates (if you didn't have the right bacteria at work...those sooo wouldn't be in there!). Give it another day. Is your ammonia test made of mercuric chloride? I actually have the same Red Sea test kit (mine came with both a low end and high end pH test...so I'm pretty sure it's the mercuric chloride test. The way it works, is that in the presence of ammonia, you get what us chemistry inclined people call a precipitate (those little yellow globby things). I agree, it's pretty durn hard to match up whats in the tube, to the colors on the card. Shake it up and do your best....but if you are ammonia-free....you won't get any (or hardly any) yellow globs. Also know that mercuric chloride is REALLY toxic, so if you've got kids around, make sure this stuff is out of reach (and also, if for some reason you need to dispose of the whole bottle...don't dump it down the drain! It should be taken to a HazMat disposal site!).

This is probably an excess of information...LOL...but hopefully some it is helpful!

OKay this is weird. I did the sames test again today (about 48 hours after adding fish and bio spira) and here's the results...
Ammonia- under .25ppm- actually it looked lighter than yesterday- but not completely clear.
Nitrite- 0ppm :?: yesterday I swear I saw something!!
Nitrates- 0ppm

Shouldnt I continue to see nitrite everytime I check?
Actually I should ask, what are the proper levels that I should be seeing?
Should I check once a week from now on?
Before the weekly water change? I plan to do a 10% water change on sundays.

Also know that mercuric chloride is REALLY toxic, so if you've got kids around, make sure this stuff is out of reach (and also, if for some reason you need to dispose of the whole bottle...don't dump it down the drain! It should be taken to a HazMat disposal site!).

Ahh!!! I dumped it down the drain last time! I had no clue! 8O Must I do this with the others?

BTW-
I talked to a couple people at my lfs and they said that they didnt recommend the test that I chose my my nitrates. They said it usually comes up that you dont have any, when in reality, they test it, and there's some there. (I used Wardley)

It's ok to dump your test water down the drain...but if some reason (you buy a new test kit, etc) you need to throw out the ENTIRE bottle, you should hold off (and this is just my personal thing...there obviously isn't any hazmat warning on the box or bottle...but IMO, we should be as conscientious as possible with that stuff, esp since it's toxic to fishies!).

As for the nitrites....I'm a little confused. In your last post you said you had nitrAtes...which are the "end" of the nitrifying cycle...so when you see those, you know that you have both kinds of bacteria working in your tank. NitrItes...you said you didn't see any last time. It's very important to test for ammonia and nitrItes...as they can kill your fish...and even at low levels, can stress them out.

The ideal situation would be ammonia = 0, nitrItes = 0, and nitrAtes = between 0 and 40. How high is too high for ammonia and nitrItes during cycling is kind of a personal thing...(once the tank is cycled, you shouldn't have either). Since you used the biospira, hopefully you won't have any problems. I would keep checking your water every day...until you see nitrAtes in your water consistently for a few days. You might want to ask the LFS what kind of test they reccommend. If you aren't seeing nitrates...but don't have any ammonia or nitrItes consistently, you're in good shape.

As for water changes...you might want to hold off a few more days, unless things are particularly dirty in there...a lot of your bacteria are probably in your gravel, and it would be a shame to suck them out!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom