Bio wheel

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FishRus

Aquarium Advice Freak
For some reason my bio wheel is making a lot of noise. It's not the actual bio wheel making noise but it's like it's making the water come out of my filter quicker and making more of a splashing noise. I removed my bio wheel for a couple seconds and it was silent.. (It was beautiful)

Do I have to have the bio wheel in? What would I be losing if I took it out?

KCCO

You don't need it. Just keep an eye on parameters for a week or so after you remove it.

I use a penguin 100B on my 10 gallon tank. The little filter sponges are enough to keep the beneficial bacteria at high enough levels. I don't use the wheel.

Yeah I think I'm going to remove it and see how it goes. I just can't handle the noise anymore. I thought it would go away after while maybe if it started getting some algae going to slow it down or something but nothing yet.

KCCO

The wheels get to be a PITA as they get older. Mine sometimes stop spinning. Sometimes it's too much crud build-up, but they do tend to slow down a lot as they age. I am also thinking of getting rid of mine. Just make sure you have something that can build up your BB, like a sponge, as Sambo suggested.

Back
Top Bottom