Biocube 14 problem !

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

guppylover101

Aquarium Advice Activist
I set up my me biocube 14 in 12/26/13 it's been 2 weeks from today and I have seen I have a lot of algea but I don't know why I'm new to this and indeed all the help I can get I have everything that I need to start saltwater master test kit,Hydrometer and cleaning supplies I also bought the water already mixed and I tested it with my hydrometer to make Shure the salinity is accurate I also needed to buy ph 8.2 from API because my ph was at 7.8 I don't know why I am having this problem I read that it's probably diatom algea and this happens when your tank is in its last day of cycling I also added ammonia thank you I will try to post some pictures I also have some dead coral in the whole of my live rock for decoration they gave them to me at global aquatics where I purchase everything including the tank my ph is 8.2 , ammonia 2.0 ppm , nitrate 80 ppm , nitrite is 2.0 ppm

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    170.8 KB · Views: 93
Looks like diatoms to me nothing to be worried about. All part of the cycling..also what have you been topping off your tank with?..rodi water or tap water?

Thanks saltdog117 I have been topping off with rodi water and will it go away or what's going to happen and when am I going to be able to add fish

Get cuc in there or just wait it will eventually due off when it uses up all the nutrients or there are other things out competing them

What big red said^^..that's how I rounded out my cycle..with the cuc 5 red leg hermits and 2 turbo snails..I have the 14g bio myself. The diatoms will disappear once parameters level out. The cuc will speed up that process..after the diatoms go away I would test your water again and go from there..should be ready for fish by then!!

Thanks bigredsreefs10 and salt dog 117 I know it's overstcocking a tank but in a wa bigger tank how would this stock do :
1 Condy anemone
1 Royal Gramma
1 Firefish
2 Percula clownfish
1 Green chromis
1 Arow crab
1 Emerald crab
3 Red leg hermit crabs
2 Coral banded shrimp
1 Pencil urchin
1 Flame scallop

And if so can I do that for my 14 gallon biocube and if so in what order can I add them and will they be ok together

Also as of the test results of my tank and of the picture were is my tank in the nitrogen cycle I herd when you get diatom algea it's close to being done and when it goes away it's done its that true and if not can u guys give me more info

That's way too may fish for your tank - that's how many are in my 55g! It's too small for the clowns but you could do a clown goby and maybe one other fish and that's it. Throw a few cool inverts in there and you'd be stocked. After you have seen the rise and fall in ammonia and nitrites you should have a high level of nitrates present - do a big water change and then you will be ready for fish. Ammonia and nitrites are poisonous to fish even very small amounts, so wait til they have hit 0.

I also wouldn't do an anemone in that size tank, they do grow quite large. Provided you have the right lighting an flow you would need to wait a good 6months to a year before adding one anyway, they are sensitive inverts :)

I agree with bectan that's a lot for a 14 and the gramma clowns and chromis can all be rather nasty and are very territorial. You could do one of these along with a goby, but I would add the goby first so it can establish itself in the tank before adding the more aggressive fish. Have you looked into the shrimp/goby pairs? I love my hifin red banded goby and Randall's pistol shrimp, the relationship is pretty cool to watch, IMO

Where is my cycle

Also by the results of my water testing is my cycle near to be don I have herd that when you get diatom algea it's the last step before your tank finishing its cycle

I have herd that I had to take out the bioballs and just put in sponge when I first setup my tank is that true

Saltdog117 how did you do with your biocube and do u have a skimmer and a uv sterilizer in yours thanks can u help me from start to finish plz

If you can, set up a refugium in there. Bio balls become a nitrate factory, and it gets pretty gross. Good luck! I'm running a Biocube 29

I took my bio balls out first thing..and like they said keep testing until ammonia and nitrites are at 0. At this point is when I did about a 35/40% wc. Then I added my cuc and waited another week and began adding fish..there's a good list of nano compatible fish on a thread in here that is really helpful. I just recently added led strips in my biocube so I could house a nem and he's a happy camper :). But if you have and other question I'd be glad to answer and help with what I can! Lots of knowledgable ppl on here tho! Your in good hands! ;)

Back
Top Bottom