biocube 29 reef

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I added some hermits and I guess from my protein skimmer after I did my last test for phosphates I did it again yesterday and it's 0. I pulled out most the algae by hand and I started a colony of copepods in the fuge with some macro algae for them to eat. The pics I posted probably look really bad but the massive clump of algae in the back is macro algae. I tested salinity and it's .025. My anemone and one other coral are all shrunk up what could be wrong?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

You have excess nutrients in your system and corals and especially nems are sensitive to this

Dang, we'll at least it's being used instead of floatin around in the tank but like you said to do I'll just do a water change every week of 5gallons

I don't know f anybody said this, and I am still pretty new to this hobby, but I have a Biocube 29g reef as well(okay, it has 2 corals, and I am adding more soon.), and I have lots of green hair algae. I got a Lawnmower blend, and he helped a bit, and I just boiled the smallest rock that had it, and flipped it upside down. It helped. I'd just say black out the tank for 2 days or so, but that might not be so good for the corals. Any input on that, guys?

I had green hair algae very bad a awhile ago. IMO you should run GFO, put in a sea hare or lots of hermits to eat the algae, pull out lots by hand, and keep up with water changes.

Never boil rock unless you do it outside. There could be toxins on the rock that you could vaporize and breathe in and possibly make you sick or kill you. Unlikely on new rock but best to get in the habit of not doing this.

And crabs, snails, and fish that consume algae will not fix the issue. Eventually they will poop what they eat and that will break down and cause even more algae. You must remove the algae manually, and nitrates and phosphates must be removed via water changes and/or chemical/mechanical filtration.

I think I've got the problem fixed, I do a 5gal wc every week and there is no new algae growth and tests are all coming back good. I ordered a good bit of coral for the tank that will be here tomorrow so here's a pic of the tank now and I'll post an after pic with the new coral tomorrowImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1406597221.724370.jpg

Back
Top Bottom