Biorb change

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jimlor123

Aquarium Advice Regular
Have a biorb 60l. And am thinking of converting this. By converting I mean using a different filter and having a sand substrate instead of the ceramic rocks. Am just curious if this could work and weather the bubble part in middle would still work?? Any ideas????

I do not have any experience with biorbs and I have only seen pictures but to my understanding the middle is cut off from the rest of the bottom right? If so and all intakes and outakes were inside the closed off section and not on the bottom (to collect or distribut sand) it should be sweet! I wanna see pics!

I am off to have a look at the filter system on a empty biorb to see how it all works in depth.. If I need to seal firer base and use another filter I will. I think this could be a fun project and can't wait to get started.. I will post pics and keep posting info :).

This is biorb at present I made the plant thing for Center tube

Attachments

• image-4190876120.jpg
    image-4190876120.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 123
I had a biorb once.. The baby version to be exact. IMO, the filter thats integrated in the base was poor and I guess only ran by the air pump. Just doesn't compare to a pump (impeller) driven filter.

Anyway, the ceramic rocks act like a biological filter (similarly to the bio balls in a 3-stage filter) due to their high porous structure. If you remove them and replace with sand, you're not gonna have a suitable place for colonies of beneficial bacteria to thrive and do their nitrifying duty. Secondly, by adding sand, the integrated under-gravel filter wouldn't work because water wouldn't be able to flow through the sponge and activated carbon contained within. You'll definitely have to add a separate filter if you do this. This DIY project of yours sounds interesting. I just don't know how it can be achieved while maintaining the aesthetic simplicity of how the biorb looks. I mean, if you add a filter, wires are going to be hanging out the top? Not to mention the challenge of somehow hiding the new filter or making it appear less noticeable. inquiring minds would like to know...Good luck!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom