Black brush algae

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kushgodrex

Aquarium Advice Freak
So I found out I had black brush algae a little back, my fish take pretty good care of what's in the tank, there is a little left but it grows still. But the hoses to my filter have it. My question is does black brush algae do anything bad other than look manly?

So I found out I had black brush algae a little back, my fish take pretty good care of what's in the tank, there is a little left but it grows still. But the hoses to my filter have it. My question is does black brush algae do anything bad other than look manly?

Look manly lol no it wont hurt anything. I kinda like a little bit of it if its under control.

I know that it doesn't harm the fish but I'm not sure about live plants. :) I despise BBA!

You don't want it on plants. If you only have a little try spot treating it with liquid carbon or hydrogen peroxide 3%. Turn off filters, pull up 1 to 3ml of liquid carbon or peroxide for every 1 gallon of tank water, slowly squirt the algae as close to it as possible. Leave filters off 20 minutes. If you have a lot of BBA you can treat an area a day. The algae usually begins to turn color and start dying in about 24 hours.

I really don't want to treat my tank, I had more but my fish started to eat it all, it's mostly just in my canister filter hoses, but even if I took those out and rinsed with hydrogen peroxide it would just grow back, how would I be sure that it's 100% gone and won't come back?

If you don't want it you have to find the reason your getting it. It's not uncommon for it to grow up high in the tank close to the light. What lighting do you have and how long are you running lights daily? Do you know your nitrate level? Are you using liquid carbon or any ferts? What is your WC schedule and how much do you change weekly?

Back
Top Bottom