Black Convict & Mbuno together?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HondaKid

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi guys! This is my first post so please excuse my ignorance. I've been on this site for about 3 days now and am overwhelmed and inspired by the amount of information contained within it. I only wish I would have stumbled upon it a few weeks earlier.

I have a 29g tank given to me by my friend. I currently have it stocked with:
2 tiger barb
2 albino tiger barb
1 red-tailed shark
1 black convict

My first mistake (after reading on this site; too little too late) was listening to the LFS associate when she said the convict would get along fine with the other fish. It's been about a week now and the convict is constantly after the other fish. As a result, I had made plans to get a second tank (55g) and relocate the black convict as well as add some other "aggressive" fish (i.e. oscar, jack dempsey) but during my time on this site, I've had a change of plans and have taken quite a liking to the Mbuno fish such as Yellow Labs, Red Zebras, etc. (inspired by folks like DizzCat, Sicklid, and spoonman; to name a few)

I'm now leaning heavily to get some (if not all) of the following fish for the new tank:

Yellow Labs
Red Zebra
Pseudotropheus Acei
Ice Blues

My question is, will the black convict do well with these Mbuno fish or am I setting myself up for trouble?

Thanks for any input as I want to do the best thing for my current and future fish! :)

Your convict will not do well with Mbuna. Their dietary needs are completely different, they prefer different water parameters, and their behavior is much different as well. Mbuna are best kept with other Mbuna.

Your convict will not do well with Mbuna. Their dietary needs are completely different, they prefer different water parameters, and their behavior is much different as well. Mbuna are best kept with other Mbuna.

What she said. ^ ;)

What they said ^^^^. And thanks for the compliment. But, I have to say, I started out making mistakes and learned from this site. Lots of good information here and good people. I would either find someone that wants the convict or take him to the pet store. Then start the 55 with the Mbuna that you mentioned. The 55 would make a great tank for them.

Thanks for the info guys. I'll be returning the convict to the LFS and starting my mbuna tank! I'm excited! Thanks again!

Just a thought... if you want advice on compatibility and ratios, JustOneMore20 (Kristin) has a good bit of experience with Mbuna and could probably help. :)

I second the JustOneMore20. She is another that was a big help to me along with DizzCat and SickLid. Like I said, there are lots of knowledgeable people here that are more than willing to help. I have all of the fish that you mentioned and my tank is going great! Here is my stock as of now in my 115G Mbuna tank.

4 Red Zebras
4 Acei
4 Cobalt Blue Zebras
4 Yellow Labs
1 Albino Blueberry
1 OB Zebra

All are happy, healthy and getting along great. Good luck with yours!!!

Back
Top Bottom