Black Ghost Knife Rubbing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Graybear78

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
My BGK is rubbing against rocks, wood and substrate. I have a 55G tank with the Marineland 350 filter. I have 5 small tetra, 2 dwarf gourami, 1 Columbian shark, 1 angel, 1 stripped Rafael catfish, 1 gold algae eater, 1 bristlenose algae eater, 1 Trinidad pleco. My last water test was: PH - 7.6, Amonia - 2.5, Nit02 - 0, Nit03 - 30. My LFS told me to use Ich preventer. Have done what the bottle instructs (5ml/g...wait 48 hrs, dose again...wait 48 hours, 25% water change). He is still rubbing. JHe also has white(ish) "spiderwebbing" on his skin. And is also swimming vertically near the filter with mouth open. Still is eating (like a pig)! What else can I do? Thanks in advance!

Hey, if your fish starts breathing rely heavy look into gill rot or disease. Also pics plz

If your ammonia is 2.5 than you are either overstocked or your maintenance routine is not sufficient. That high of an ammonia reading will definitely put stress on your fish and is probably the reason why your fish is ill

Here's a pic.

Sent from my SGH-I547C using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Attachments

• 1396922009113.jpg
    1396922009113.jpg
    157.6 KB · Views: 138
Ya try to get the ammonia down would be number 1, then look into flukes for sure if nothing changes.

What is your maintenance schedule? How often do you do water changes? And how large are they?

I do a weekly 10% water change. But I, just yesterday, did a 25% water change after a double dose of ich treatment.

10% isn't really doing anything for you. I I would recommend 50-70% once every week.

OK...I will do another change in a day. Is it ok to add salt to freshwater? I've read on other forums that it is.

I've never messed with salt in any of my tanks so I can't help you there however why are you thinking about adding salt?

You really just need to get your water parameters in order, for your tank as it sits now, 50% wc every 5 days, your stock is all over the place, I'm pretty sure the bgk has no business in a 55, nor do your shark.. For now just try and get that water clean, I would not be surprised if you did a wc now and one tom morning.. Your fish will be looking much better.. How long has the tank been running?

Just did a 50% water change. Will do another one tomorrow as well. I purchased the tank with the fish off Kijiji. We had it moved, cleaned and up and running within 6 hours. The fish were in a Rubbermaid with a bubbler, with water from the original tank. The tank was filthy. We did a good clean and added 90% new water. Did a water test before acclimating fish. All was good, so we slowly dripped the fish into the tank. I have had it running in my home for just over a month now. Like I said, I have done 10-15% water changes weekly and added tap water conditioner and stress tyme at each water change.

ya start doing bigger water changes like that. getting things stable within good parameters solves alot it sounds like. i just suggested flukes as some to read up on to think of other things if getting your water parameters doesn't work out. help get ahead of things hoping that its just water parameters. should have said that sry.

Posting links sounds like a pain for new users but google is a thing. I'd advise ppl here before doing anything drastic and keep people updated to help with yours and others future problems.

me posting links. i think they have to be approved but there is tons of info out there ill post some links tho

Back
Top Bottom