Black Ghost Knife Rubbing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It sounds like you are still cycling. Especially if you did a good clean on the tank before moving it. I would do 50% water change every day right now. I know you will probably think I am nuts but it is likely that the ammonia/cycle process is causing the problems, however because of the stress they can come down with lots of ailments that they otherwise would be able to fight off.

The 10% of water you kept from the tank before would not have held as much of the good bacteria as say the rocks, filter media decor etc. So if all of that was washed and scrubbed much of it was washed away.

The other thing you can do is go and get some BioSpira it is a bacterial supplement that seems to actually work really really well. Also add prime (or stress coat) to help detoxify the ammonia.

Once the ammonia spike is done you will see Nitrite and it will rise and spike...same thing keep doing the water changes and add that BioSpira.

If you have access to a fish store that sells live plants....try to get some they can help suck up the ammonia also....some stems of hygro left floating on the top for example would suck it up pretty quickly but you still have to watch and water changes will always help. The live plants will also carry beneficial bacteria which will help.

How does everything look since your last water change?

The water looks a heck of a lot better. I am going to do a 50% water change this afternoon, then a water test tonight. What do people recommend having in the filter (extra media), other than the filter pads that are used specifically for the filter? He (BGK) is still rubbing today too.

The filter pads are fine if you change them before the charcoal goes bad. You can also just use filter floss or sponges...I like filter floss (also cheaper You can get 100% polyester quilt batting, it's the same thing) but for now as long as your filter pads are newish I would keep the charcoal in because it might help in your situation.

Maybe look into adding another filter where you can customize the filter media or a lil DIY filter... I doubt you'll need it tho but some look kinda neat to make and the penguin only has those pads so it be a good way to get some different media in there if you wanted.

Back
Top Bottom