Black moor goldfish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Averyf

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi, I am a new goldfish owner, as my relative bought a baby black moor and kept it in a goldfish bowl, not taking care of it, I angrily took over care for him and put him in a 10 gallon i had, but i knew i needed to upgrade, i just now bought him a 29 gallon.

he's a little over 2 inches long including tail, i'm using a Tetra Whisper EX45 Power Filter with 240 GPH flow rate. and a small bubble wall. I just upgraded him today from a 10 gallon tank. So i have my old Topfin10 HOB filter on it too for now.

Is this a good set up for him? I’m going to need to do weekly water changes, correct?

I also have one main problem with him, i've had him for 2 months now and he’s doing great but I think he struggles eating, he seems to never see the food when I put it in the tank but I see him nibble on the ground so i assume he gets the food eventually from the ground. I started with flakes but then tried floating granules, that didn't work, they were way too big and then heard about swim bladder disease, so stopped using those. Then yesterday i bought small sinking granules, hoping that will work best, or if anyone has any suggestions?

One last question.. i’m sorry.. lol.. Would i ever be able to add another (visually challenged) goldfish to this tank? or is it too small?

I'd hold off on another fish imo until you get this tank and fish stable. A suggestion I'd add would be to pick up a water chemistry test kit. Congrats on taking on looking after this fish :) (keen for photos, always enjoyed black moors!).

It sounds like you're doing a great job!

As said by Delapool, you may want to buy a water testing kit because that will allow you to be able to know how often you need to change the water.

I am not sure that two fancy fish would fit in a 29 gallon full size, but maybe a fantail as they are smaller than other types. But I would wait until you have had this one a little longer.

I'm not sure about his feeding. Have you tried hand feeding him?

Is the tank barebottom if not maybe consider it as it’s easy for visually challenged fish to find food more easily. Hope this helps

Goldfish are bottom sifters by nature, so he is finding the food that lands on the substrate. Flakes and pellets are okay, but they contain fillers that can cause buoyancy issues. If you have the resources, your fish would highly benefit from a good gel food such as Repashy. It is available from Amazon and a small bottle would last you a pretty long time. It's easy to prepare, and offers your fish a much healthier and more natural diet. Good call getting him a larger tank! I have one in a tank with other types of fancies and I have noticed he has more difficult time finding food, but he gets his share eventually.
He would be happy with a buddy, but as mentioned, you need to make sure this tank cycles, and they would certainly outgrow that tank in time. You could add another if you kept up water changes as they grow and planned for a larger tank in the future.
Enjoy!

Here’s my guy

Attachments

• IMG_0315.jpg
    IMG_0315.jpg
    208.9 KB · Views: 602
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom