black moor question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Its hard to tell in the video but is it just a bit cloudy or is it fuzzy & cloudy? As its only one eye, I am guessing he may have scraped it on something. Moors are prone to eye injuries as they have poor vision and delicate eyes. If you have detectable nitrites, water changes will be must to get them well under control. :)

it almost looks like a clear pimple on the eye. Any ideas what coulld have caused the nitrite spike, but the ammonia and nitrates are under control?

Newly cycled tanks are quite tempermental so seeing an ammonia or nitrite spike is not that unusual. Is your ph staying stable?

Hmm.... lets get your nitrites under control and see how his eye does. If it becomes worse, let us know. I would keep an close eye on him for any other similar bumps on his body/fins or any abnormal symptoms such as heavy/rapid breathing, going to the surface alot for air or anything strange.

Yes, PH is on the higher side (7.6) but has always been around that level (while I was cycling). I just did a water change...and dropped the goldy back in the tank. I put in some broccoli and food pellets, and he doesn't seem to be interest....maybe just getting accustomed to the clean water. Atleast I hope that is the case.

20130307_192651.mp4 - YouTube

20130307_192555.mp4 - YouTube

hi JLK - two videos attached...the cloudiness in the eye has gotten a little worst. And I can't tell with 100% accuracy, but i think the right eye has a little spec too. Hopefully these videos are clearer....he really doesn't like the camera light, so making a video is tough.

Anyways, I checked the water levels today and everything is fine. He is also eating his veggies and pellets ok. So no weird behavior...

My goodness, he is one active little guy! Ok, I couldn't see anything on the other eye but the obvious eye appears white and 'fuzzy'. Does it appear this way to you or is it simply cloudy?

it's hard to describe...the eye ball is definitely out of shape, almost similar to a pimple on ones skins - just translucent.

Ok, I have seen this on some of my new fish before and I will be honest, I don't know absolutely the cause but my guess it's related to flukes or possibly ich. As I treat any new goldie for both with praziquantel and salt, the bubbles eventually popped (looked awful) and then cleared up completely within two weeks. If you would like to give it a try, you will need a decent sized bottle of Prazipro and salt. Its pretty easy though it may sound a bit daunting at first!

I have some marine salt at home...will have to go pickup the prazipro. Just follow the instructions on the bottle?

Regular aq salt or kosher/canning salt. Marine salt will affect your parameters. Get a container you can close. Add 1 level measuring tsp/g of salt and fill with treated water. Shake until dissolved. Add half salt solution over 24hrs, next half over next 24hrs. Only add back salt you remove with wcs. So, for 50% wc, add back 1/2 original amount predissolved in treated water along with the new water.

For the Prazipro, dose at 1tsp/5ml per 10g. It may cause some water foaming. Make sure any carbon is removed. Big wc at 7 days and redose. Treat for atleast 3wks. If you need to wcs sooner than 7 days, this is fine. Just do big wcs and redose. Maintain the salinity at .1% during treatment. If the bubbles don't improve around the one and half to two week mark, the salinity may need to be increased.

Just keep a close eye on your parameters. Prazi will not affect your bb at all but the salt may and you may possibly see spikes in toxins. Please ask if you have any questions!

Back
Top Bottom