Black moor sitting on bottom of tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

shepz

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hey, ive had my black moor now for about 2 years, he in a tank with two comets an average 'goldfish' another black moor and a 'weatherloach'. The first yeah I got him, he had some sort of anchor disease, but we fixed it, now, all he has been doing is sitting in one spot and only becomes lively when food is put in, every now and then he swims and on that spot the other black moor sits or it sits behind the other black
Moor, anyone know what's going on? going to do a full 100% water change tomorrow, and
I'll try get some pictures soon if I can, my first time on this forum, so sorry if it's in the wrong place, thanks :)

Shepppzzz!..

What size tank is he in?
Also never do a 100% water change because it stresses the fish out too much, a 50% water is better. Because the PH swimgs dramaticlly and is never good for the fish.
A picture will definitly Help for us
Also Welome to Aquarium Advice! :D

Hey thanks for the awesomely quick reply and welcome, don't get that in some other places, and I just found that it is a little 12 gallon tank and the fish have grown so big since I got them, they were like 4cm when I got them, now their ranging
From 10cm to 15cm, not counting their fishtail I got told you measure fish by their body :D anyway, the tanks dirty I'm going to go clean it, any advice, it seems to go dirty quick, making me nervous and making me do 100% water change, I'll try not to from now on! Maybe a bigger filter.. Well thanks anyway I hope he/she's ok :(

Sheppppzz

Well, i think an upgrade will definitly help with the cleaneniss of the tank. If possiable a tank around 55gal will be very good. Because these fish are going to get even bigger. Also Im not sure why the fish would be sitting on the bottom of the tank maybe he/she is just lazy.

Hmm I'll have to keep asking my parents, I've just spent all my money on clothes and my parrents just finished booking a holiday, were all empty moneywise for now, it might be lazy because it is quite a big fish, I'm just curious why the other one also sits with it. Time to clean D:

Just finished a 50% water change, I'll try keep it up weekly, their all swimming fine at the moment, I think it might be an overcrowded problem but not sure :/.

I think it is an overcrowding problem. 12 gal is simply too small for that many goldfish. <Or for any goldfish!>

I would suggest that even a 55 gal is too small. Your 2 comets are pond fish. Under good conditions, they grow to 12-16" (~30-40 cm). That is bigger than your tank! These are fast swimming fish and need room to swim. I would not consider housing a mature comet in anything less than a 6' long tank (150-200 gal range). A pond is definitely much better.

I think your best choice is to see if you can find a someone with a good sized pond to take in the 2 comets, unless your parents are interested in building a pond.

For now, I would do LOTS of pwc. In a small overloaded tank like yours, 50% pwc DAILY is in order. Do good gravel clean to get rid of as much gunk as possible with each change. Your remaining fish (3 fancies + the weather loach) would do OK in a 55 gal, but a shallower tank is actually better. <See if you can get a 40 or 50 gal breeder. Of course, bigger tanks like 75-90 gal is always better!>

I know it is a big expense to get into big tank setups. You need to think carefully about how deeply you want to get into this hobby.

I think it is an overcrowding problem. 12 gal is simply too small for that many goldfish. <Or for any goldfish!>

I would suggest that even a 55 gal is too small. Your 2 comets are pond fish. Under good conditions, they grow to 12-16" (~30-40 cm). That is bigger than your tank! These are fast swimming fish and need room to swim. I would not consider housing a mature comet in anything less than a 6' long tank (150-200 gal range). A pond is definitely much better.

I think your best choice is to see if you can find a someone with a good sized pond to take in the 2 comets, unless your parents are interested in building a pond.

+1 Your tank is way too small for Goldfish. They are messy fish with large bio-loads ... requiring lots of 50% PWC's. The Comets need LOTS of room .. aka.. pond or 200gal tank.

Alright thanks, I'll look into it, I guess the theory my mum always used to say was never true; your fish will grow to the right size of the tank :/

Alright thanks, I'll look into it, I guess the theory my mum always used to say was never true; your fish will grow to the right size of the tank :/

It is true in the sense that the fish will die when they get too big for the tank. Consider that the natural lifespan of a comet is 12-15 years ... most crowded fish only live for a few years & never grow to full size.

Oh alright thanks, hopefully something good
Will happen soon, new tank/new owner ect..

I am also having this problem with my black moor.
In a 50galon tank I have, 2 fancy goldfish, the moor and a "miniature butterfly koi". Recently the black moor (bovril) has only been active when food is in the tank, the rest of the time he/she sits on the bottom, head towards the gravel with tail upwards. Most f the time completely motionless. Other three fish are happy as anything and really active, only bovril seems to be under the weather. Any ideas?

I am also having this problem with my black moor.
In a 50galon tank I have, 2 fancy goldfish, the moor and a "miniature butterfly koi". Recently the black moor (bovril) has only been active when food is in the tank, the rest of the time he/she sits on the bottom, head towards the gravel with tail upwards. Most f the time completely motionless. Other three fish are happy as anything and really active, only bovril seems to be under the weather. Any ideas?

Hi Nic, since this is an older thread you might want to post your own topic on this to ensure people see it. Also we have an unhealthy fish section (one for freshwater and one for SW), if you post it in there it will get seen. Here's the link to the FW unhealthy fish section: Freshwater & Brackish - Unhealthy Fish - Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community

Back
Top Bottom