Black sand?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Black diamond blasting sand? Not familiar with that... so I googled. There's some beautiful planted fw aquariums using it. Doesn't have the buffering capacity of aragonite, but still cool looking.

I kind of like how you can see any debris in the tank on black sand, it let's me know where to clean. I use black sand in both my brackish tanks and I love it!

Alyxx said:
I kind of like how you can see any debris in the tank on black sand, it let's me know where to clean. I use black sand in both my brackish tanks and I love it!

Looks good. Kinda wish i woulda got the blue...

I used black sand in my pico awhile back, and while it looked awesome it was tough to keep clean. I wouldnt use it again even though it looks nice. LOL

This is what I have heard others say also that it`s just too hard to keep clean. Harder to see fish waste that could be seen and siphoned up if it was a light substrate.

To me it is all a matter of preference. I have a tank with black sand (12 gal) and one with white sand (BC29) and I like them both. It seems that what is seen on one is missed on the other and vice-versa. It is similar to having cats, light hair on dark clothes, dark hair on light clothes.

Ive had black sand with a little white sand. But the tank was pretty dark looking so when I upgraded I added a little black to white sand. About 1:4 ratio here is before and after. It's a good mix. Btw I used petco sand.

Starchar said:
To me it is all a matter of preference. I have a tank with black sand (12 gal) and one with white sand (BC29) and I like them both. It seems that what is seen on one is missed on the other and vice-versa. It is similar to having cats, light hair on dark clothes, dark hair on light clothes.

Got any pics?

Ibrahim said:
Ive had black sand with a little white sand. But the tank was pretty dark looking so when I upgraded I added a little black to white sand. About 1:4 ratio here is before and after. It's a good mix. Btw I used petco sand.

Looks good!

Back
Top Bottom