Black Spot on Tail of Glofish Tetra

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

atoa22

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hey y’all! This is Berry, my 2 year old glofish tetra. I noticed a small spot on her tail about a week ago. Back then it was tiny and a light gray color, barely noticeable. Today it’s gotten much larger & darker. Does anyone have any idea what this might be & how I can treat it?

Attachments

• A7E2A6A0-257A-4CD1-ACAF-EF73085D5C82.jpg
    A7E2A6A0-257A-4CD1-ACAF-EF73085D5C82.jpg
    118.6 KB · Views: 91
The black dot on your fish can and probably is what is known as black spot disease, also known as diplopstomiasis, and it is caused by a parasite, in this case, flatworm larvae of the genus Neascus.

Typically this occurs when new fish are added to an already established aquarium. I have never had to treat this in any fish, but when researching it, I found this website that explains the disease in more detail, as well as methods on how to treat it. It sounds like it needs to be treated ASAP, so time is of the essence.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks, I read that too. I just don’t understand how it could have gotten into my tank, that’s why I’m hesitant to believe that’s what it is. I haven’t added any new fish into my tank.

Well, I hope your Glofish is okay, she looks gorgeous! :)

Don’t feel too bad about the diplopstomiasis, everything can happen and the only important thing is to learn from our mistakes.

Back
Top Bottom