Black spots in sand

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
If you added LR then some of the animals will migrate to your sand and they will multiply. you can also order ministars and snails just google sandsifters and see what comes up.

If you added LR then some of the animals will migrate to your sand and they will multiply.

Thats what happened for me. Dry sand and LR. Now it's full of wormy things. Can't find a one inch square area without 2-3. :D They are better than any hermit. Probably why I don't have a CUC yet too. :p

I dont think my tank has anything. Ive had my live rocks in for 9 months now and the sand looks like a waste land. Maybe I ought to go buy a live rock from my LFS in hopes of seeding the tank?

Will starfish eat detritus? Aside from detritus, I have very little else to eat in the tank. (I guess this is why all my nessarius snails died off after about a month).

I feed very little to the tank. (A pinch once every other day). Each fish gets a couple tiny pellets each and the cleaner shrimp catches what falls to the bottom. The pom pom crab sometimes gets lucky too. :) Should I be feeding more? Do pom pom crabs eat detritus?

Thanks,
Matt

Yeah, as long as the fish eat the food immediately you should feed a little more. If you can get some chaeto algae that would really seed your tank with critters. These came in with my macro algae:
img_1089459_0_6ca6428f0cb2971fc3223c19154cd61f.jpg

Last edited:
Yeah, as long as the fish eat the food immediately you should feed a little more. If you can get some chaeto algae that would really seed your tank with critters. These came in with my macro algae:
img_1089462_0_6ca6428f0cb2971fc3223c19154cd61f.jpg
I used to have some of those things, but they arent around anymore. I assume they died. :-(
I guess I ought to be feeding my tank a little more for the other critters. Would it be worth adding some copepods (from a dealer)? I used to have some, but my fish ate them. (Two clowns and a sixline wrasse).
Matt

Hello,
I will have to get a new test kit as mine look to have expired...:-(

I went to the LFS today and got some micro brittle stars to help shake things up. I felt so bad watching the guy shake coral colonies until one finally popped out. Took a lot of work! I decided to get a mushroom colony while I was at it since they are all a flat price of $26.99. It is a nice rock with about 10 red shrooms on it. As a bonus, MORE micro brittle stars jumped off and were running around in the bag!!! Yay!!! (Now I feel much more bad having that guy hunt down one for me). As more added bonus, TWO hermits popped out, some kind of sand clam thing, and some mysid shrimp!

Great deal, no?
Matt

This is very strange...Today I noticed that large dark area is GONE!? After months of it being there it just left? I didnt do anything to remove it. I wonder what happend?
Matt

The anarobic bacteria finally turned it into nitrogen gas and it bubbled out during the night. Isn't nature wonderful! That is where your sand stirrer come in by not allowing large pockets to form.

The anarobic bacteria finally turned it into nitrogen gas and it bubbled out during the night. Isn't nature wonderful! That is where your sand stirrer come in by not allowing large pockets to form.
Does this mean I have a DSB functioning in my non DSB sand bed? :p
MAtt

No, all it means is that you had a dead spot in your sandbed. This is bad if you were to stir up the sand and release the toxins before it turned nitrogen.

No, all it means is that you had a dead spot in your sandbed. This is bad if you were to stir up the sand and release the toxins before it turned nitrogen.
Awww..Thats too bad. So I need to get some sand stirrers to prevent the dead spots. What should I get that will survive and still do a good job? I know that sand sifting sea stars will die, as well as cucumbers. What is readily available, yet effective and long lasting?

Matt

Google gobies and see if there is one that you like.

Google gobies and see if there is one that you like.

I think I may be at my limit in my tank for fish, plus my clowns would murder him. :rocket: ( I tried a yellow watchmen goby a few months back and they killed him immediately).

Any other critters? I used to have nessarius snails that would bury themselves, but they all died. (I am guessing due to lack of food).

Matt

Try Nassa's again. There may not have been enough dertrius in your sand bed before but now there is probably more. Start slow with only 5-10 and see how they go. :)

Try Nassa's again. There may not have been enough dertrius in your sand bed before but now there is probably more. Start slow with only 5-10 and see how they go. :)

:p Oh yea, there is detritus now alright! I think I will order some. Anything else to put in while I am at it?
Thanks,
Matt

Back
Top Bottom