Bleached plants for a little too long

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AnthonyDuong

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I was changing my tank substrate so I needed to take all my plants out. I figured I might as well kill the hair algae on the plants too. The plants that had a lot of hair algae on them I dipped in diluted bleach water of a ratio of 1:20. Maybe I left the plants in there a little too long. Say 10-15 minutes? I read that I should've dipped them in for 3-4 mins but it still looked like the hair algae was on the leaves so I let them soak longer until I no longer saw algae.

I took them out of the bleach water and then rinsed them for a bit and let them soak in prime water for 15-20 mins. I smelled the water and the plants and they had no hint of bleach to them. I let it airdry to make sure all the bleach has evaporated then I put it back in the tank.

The plant looked really good for the first day. I haven't seen my plants without the hair algae for months. By day 3 the leaves started to wither away a little. Day 5 the leaves are completely gone!

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1405395157.521110.jpg
The plant is a Hygrophila angustifolia.

Here's a link for a picture of a healthy plant
Aquatic Plants for Freshwater Aquariums: Hygrophila Angustifolia

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1405395878.187651.jpg
Same thing happening to this plant, but it's putting up a fight not to die. Or just deteriorating much slower. It's a cryptocoryne plant

My question is, is the plant completely dead?
Will the leaves of the plants grow back eventually?
Should I remove the plants from the tank?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

They're pretty beat up, but still alive. I'd use hydrogen peroxide instead of bleach the next time. Fairly instant reaction with algae, and much, much less harmful to your plants.

Back
Top Bottom