Bloated Angel Fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jewel

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a bloated female angel fish and I have seen other forums about this topic. I tried feeding her a blanched pea but she won't eat it. She was pregnant and laid eggs about a month ago but her stomach never went back down. Tonight she won't eat at all but if she is constipated maybe that's a good thing she's not eating. If I cannot get her to eat the pea, what else can I try?

What size tank is she in and what are her tankmates? What are your water parameters? Are her scales sticking out at all? You can add epsom salt to the water to help reduce the swelling but more information would be helpful, pics esp if possible. There are a list of questions in the sticky at the beginning of this forum that will provide us with more info.

She is a marble angel in 37gal. show tank

Water parameters (API Master Test Kit)--just redid them to give you current results:
Nitrate: 10
Nitrite: 0
Ammonia: .25 (Obviously another water change is due!)
PH: 6.4
Last water change was on 12/29/07

Scales not sticking out.

Other tankmates:
1 Choi angel fish (male)
Whiptail catfish
2 ea of following catfish: Sterba, Julii cory, Bronze cory
Clown Pleco
1 white skirt Tetra
2 black skirt Tetras
Lots of snails...unfortunately.

Will try to get a picture--she use to come to the glass when I walked up but now she hides from me.

Thanks for your quick replies!

I would try the epsom salts for starters. If you can trick her into eating some small portion of peas that would be good. Has she eaten anything recently that you can tell?

Sorry for late reply...been focusing on the betta issue. The marble angel is eating and she is not so bloated now...but guess what, she laid eggs the other day! She still looks bloated to me but if she is laying eggs I suspect that is a good sign?

It is a good sign that she is laying eggs. I assume there is no male in the tank? The best sign is that she is eating again.

Back
Top Bottom