Bloated/sick

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tima121

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello i was wondering if my tetra is bloated or sick. I use to feed it 2x a day 3 flakes. Then i saw it get fat right before my eyes. Now i feed it 1x a day 2 flakes. My tetra swims fine and eat normal. Should i starve it for 3/4 days or continue to feed it.

Yes i know i only have on tetra. Yes i know they are schooling fish but most of them died and i don't know why. It could be due to covid 19 or the fishes was old. I am planing on buying more once the stores open back up.

Attachments

• 20200511_085706.jpg
    20200511_085706.jpg
    150.5 KB · Views: 30
  • 20200511_085624.jpg
    20200511_085624.jpg
    121.9 KB · Views: 31
  • 20200511_085544.jpg
    20200511_085544.jpg
    138 KB · Views: 34
What kind of tetra is that?
It looks like a hybrid almost I’ve never seen on like that.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry this is my first time using this. This is a black skirt tetra. I got it from petco

If you got it from petco it prolly isn't what they told you it was.

I've never seen a blackskirt like that tho.

And from what I can tell it's proolly just fat.

Well i think it is a black skirt tetra. I been looking at pics online and it looks the same. If you don't think it is then what is it? Should i starve it for 3/4days. Thank you for your advice.

Oh It is a Black skirt I must be thinking of a different fish.
if you want you can but a fat tetra is better than a starving tetra.

What are the water parameters? Do you have a test kit?

The Aquarium Advice article link in my signature has really good information about keeping fish well. How to have a cycled tank, so that the fish stay safe.

How often do you do water changes. Water seems a bit cloudy. I would do a water change maybe 30%. Test the water and see if it is safe.

Temperature match the water and use dechlorinator.

Having really clean water, as in doing extra water changes to keep the least amount of stress on the fish is a good start. Watch if the swelling does down with improved water quality.

Try skipping a day of feeding.

If the fish gets more swelling there might be a problem.

My water has always been cloudy after I do water changes. But I think it was my phone quality. I have my water tested and its fine. And I am about to switch the gravel to sand. It seems like this gravel I have now stays dirty. I clean my tank 2x a month. I use to use tap water and a dechlorinator with it. Then I use a brita filter in my sink but that is slow. Now I think I'm just going to buy the gallon bottle water

How many gallons is your tank, and are you using a filter?

Did you do the pwc?

Every 2 weeks do you do a 100% water change or how much water?

How is the fish looking? More bloated or same or better?

Using a dechlorinator like Prime water condition is a useful tool to have on hand to help. In addition to dechlorinating the water they can neutralize the bad ammonia, nitrite or nitrate which might creep up on you. Especially when you get more fish.

Sand over gravel is most often preferred as the leftover food and poo sits on top of the sand and easily vac'd out.

Fish is fine. No changes still the same. I do 50% water change. Fish still swimming and eating. But I'm going to do 100% once my stuff gets here. The reason I do 2x a month is because this fish is very sensitive. Here is a pic of when I did the water change and put fish in other tank. I have been using water conditioner. I have a filter. My tank is 29 gallon. My tank is fine no need to worry. Yes sand is much better then gravel rocks. I don't know why I did not use it in the first place. Thanks for the advice

Attachments

• 20200504_134119.jpg
    20200504_134119.jpg
    201.7 KB · Views: 19
You loose a bunch of colonized BB when you remove the gravel to put in new. So an extra water change might be useful to make sure there isn't a mini cycle.

If this is a female, which it looks like the more full shape of the body I just saw a pic from, then she could have eggs. Which she might get bigger and you'd likely see bulges around the abdomen. If it is illness you will see more overall swelling all around the lower body, balloon look.

Yes it does have a bulge on the abdomen. I was planning on leaving some of the old gravel in so I won't lose any bb. It will probably reabsorb the egg right since there is no present male in the tank. I already did water change.

Does this look like see is carrying eggs? Update it is still fat. Still eating and swimming normal.

Attachments

• 20200506_113346.jpg
    20200506_113346.jpg
    231.4 KB · Views: 16
Back
Top Bottom