Blood Parrot Breeding Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Baglady

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I read that the male blood parrot usually is infertile. Has anyone ever had their blood parrots to reproduce?

Usually peiple just get a female blood parrot and a male of some other fish, like texas, and breed them... Females usually produces eggs ok but the male blood parrots are infertile... It may be possible tho depending on the specific genetics of your fish. Btw, the cross between texas and blood parrot is really cool looking...

Sent from a cave in the eastward side o a sand dune.

My two blood parrots have laid eggs about 4 times! However they never hatch! They usually
Fungus over or they eat the
m! One is a convict blood parrot and the other is a red blood!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Attachments

• 1435897399281.jpg
    1435897399281.jpg
    113 KB · Views: 69
My two blood parrots have laid eggs about 4 times! However they never hatch! They usually
Fungus over or they eat the
m! One is a convict blood parrot and the other is a red blood!

This because almost all the males are sterilized before released into the hobby.

Caleb

This because almost all the males are sterilized before released into the hobby.

Caleb

Not so much there.. theyre left sterile by the hybridization process that occurs in their creation. Breeders are hands off aside from crossing the parents.

Thanks for the responses. I found a good deal last year on a new 55 gallon established tank on craigslist. Three blood parrots came with it. I didn't want them but after a couple of weeks went by I fell in love with them. Twice now they have dug out a pit under their clay pot and laid eggs but nothing happens.

I read that the male blood parrot usually is infertile. Has anyone ever had their blood parrots to reproduce?

There are a small percentage of fertile males but your correct they're usually sterile.

Caleb

What Mr. Brookster said is correct, I'm not sure where you hear such as thing?

Not so much there.. theyre left sterile by the hybridization process that occurs in their creation.

Most breeders of these fish keep the original father to continue the process with his offspring, again further degrading the strain.

There are a small percentage of fertile males but your correct they're usually sterile.

What Mr. Brookster said is correct, I'm not sure where you hear such as thing?

Most breeders of these fish keep the original father to continue the process with his offspring, again further degrading the strain.

I read up quickly, said only 90% are sterile out the gates, that would leave a chance for a stud to end up at the lfs huh?

I read up quickly, said only 90% are sterile out the gates, that would leave a chance for a stud to end up at the lfs huh?

I don't follow any hybrid discussions but there are reports in our club of successful spawns(if you can call them that).

Ya it is possible for them to breed... However on the off chance you get a fertile male, you have to take into account that there are varieties of blood parrots out there. Some are just a cross between 2 fish, but some are bred with other fish making them a mixup of up to 3-4 different fish. So even though your chances are 1/10 for a fertile male, its less than that to have a successful breed... And from what I've heard they don't have a good survival rate in the offspring, due to abnormalities in body structure, feeding, etc...

Sent from a cave in the eastward side o a sand dune.

Back
Top Bottom