Blood Parrot breeding

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Quest84 said:
so they would be better with other semi-aggressive fish, what do u guys think with some tiger barbs, rainbow shark and some type of bottom dweller?

Make a school of the barbs help if they are with aggressive fish anyways :) I don't know barely any about the rainbow shark so I'm clueless there. What size tank? I think maybe royal pleco or bristlenose pleco I like the albinos!! Or maybe some shrimp or something I don't know all up to you.

BrackAttack said:
i read that with blood parrots the females can also have pointed fins but males will never have rounded. i really like these guys. they are a good size and colorful and entertaining

Oh I just read a few sites and about thought that's how you sex them plus someone told but I guess I don't know maybe just "vent" them. Female has egg tube and carrys them all I know about sexing :/

Oh I just read a few sites and about thought that's how you sex them plus someone told but I guess I don't know maybe just "vent" them. Female has egg tube and carrys them all I know about sexing :/

yea your right but im just saying the females can sometimes look like males. i just wanted a second opinion from someone who is more familiar with them.

i was thinking of getting a school of barbs but im waiting till they go on sale at petco $5 for 5. they do it allllll the time.

i have what i think is a 46 gallon bowfront, but when i do the volume calculator it come to like 53-55 gal. 48L x 12W x21 deep

I'm about to start buying some fish within the next few days, so i'm trying to figure out what to buy. I really like the blood parrots, but i also wanted some color in the tank like Discus and glofish. This is confusing me and i'm not sure which way to go lol

BrackAttack said:
yea your right but im just saying the females can sometimes look like males. i just wanted a second opinion from someone who is more familiar with them.

i was thinking of getting a school of barbs but im waiting till they go on sale at petco $5 for 5. they do it allllll the time.

Mine has it right now! For the 5 for 5$ tempting not to get some (I didn't ). I'm not too familiar and I'm not a expert but I just research and stuff. Petco has all the dollar sales on fish and tanks! I really like mine near me :D

i have what i think is a 46 gallon bowfront, but when i do the volume calculator it come to like 53-55 gal. 48L x 12W x21 deep

I'm about to start buying some fish within the next few days, so i'm trying to figure out what to buy. I really like the blood parrots, but i also wanted some color in the tank like Discus and glofish. This is confusing me and i'm not sure which way to go lol

those are really two opposite ends of the spectrum.glofish in my opinion are too expensive for what they are. zebra danios are $1 and glo fish are like 5 or $6 for just a colored version of the same fish. i used to breed danios and i was very unamused.
i used to not like having a few fish big fish vs a lot of little fish in the tank but im starting to really enjoy the bigger fish.

Quest84 said:

I suggest before you purchase any fish, do a lot of research on the fish that interest you. Look at what size they grow to be, what temp the tank needs to be, what ph the fish need ect. Then see which of the fish you like have all those in common. The same temp,ph ect. Also look into whether or not they will be compatible with each other. Some fish will eat anything if it will fit in their mouths. Others are extremely aggressive even to their own kind.

yea i know that its two completely different set ups. I guess i just have to make up my mind and go with either a peaceful community tank or a semi-aggressive, no in betweens

Quest84 said:
yea i know that its two completely different set ups. I guess i just have to make up my mind and go with either a peaceful community tank or a semi-aggressive, no in betweens

Pm sent

Sort of got off topic there. Sorry. As for breeding parrot fish I really have no personal experience with it. I do have two parrots and everything that I have researched says they won't breed as like mentioned above the males are infertile. I haven't read anything else to state otherwise. But have been curious myself as to how they keep the population. Unless they are all man made??

Ive talked to multiple poeple and a bloody parrot is a hybred an cant reproduce

Quest84 said:
I really like the blood parrots as well that face is just too cute. i'm about to start a community tank and was wondering if they will do ok with the smaller fish like danios and tetras? and if i decided to add a ram down the road would they get along?

i heard they are not too aggressive, and don't really have teeth to defend themselves from bigger more aggressive fish

I have 5 blood parrots/2 angel fish and 2 kissing gourami and 3 Discus. The only fish in my tank that ever shows aggression is my Angel fish and my kissing gourami. Other than that everyone else is always passive. Parrots are cool :)

Ive talked to multiple poeple and a bloody parrot is a hybred an cant reproduce

It can reproduce..... it's just a rare occurence in home aquaria. The vast majority of males are infertile. It would be a miracle to get one that is able to spawn successfully.

LyndaB said:
It can reproduce..... it's just a rare occurence in home aquaria. The vast majority of males are infertile. It would be a miracle to get one that is able to spawn successfully.

Yep I read somewhere that there is a 98% Infertility rate with male blood parrots.It's not impossible but highly unlikely.

Back
Top Bottom