Blood Parrot Cichlid Growth

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

haley10384

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi! I recently acquired a 20 gallon tank from a friend. In it, she had 7 cory catfish and 2 blood parrot cichlids which had been tagged wrong at the pet store where she bought them. She thought they were for 20 gal. tanks and peaceful community fish. She soon found out, after many guppy losses that they were not peaceful. She told me she had it a long time (10+ yrs) so I knew that the cichlids growth had likely been stunted already and the best thing I could do is feed them a healthy diet and keep them happy in this tank that had been there home for so long.

Well, I found out today that she has had them for about 8 months. . . My question is what is the best thing for me to do for these cichlids? Are they already stunted or is their still hope that they can grow to their full and happy size? I have already contacted a lfs about possibly taking them.

Btw, she had the catfish for over ten years and I immediately took 5 of them to the pet store so they could be happier. 2 of them weren't even cory's!! They were big catfish! Any help is greatly appreciated!!

Hi haley10384,
No experience with Parrot Cichlids but I do believe they are close to the size of a Discus (Somebody please chime in If I'm wrong). And a pair of Discus (with a pair of Cory's) would be Okay in a 20 gallon tank.
How big is the pair of Parrots?
And it sounds like the girl that had them before you took REALLY good care of those fish!

I think Parrot Cichlids are very cool looking! I'd keep them!! Maybe down the road look for a bigger tank. But I think a 20 gallon tank is good. How long (in inches) is the tank?

Dennis

Well, thank you for the reply, but I already gave them to the pet store. They were about 4 inches long (less than one year old) and require a minimum of 29 gallons for one. They get up to 8+ inches and I decided that if they hadn't been stunted it was best to take them somewhere where they could grow in a good size tank. A 20 gallon is the max for me. The pet store traded me for some smaller species and I am still waiting on them.

Well, thank you for the reply, but I already gave them to the pet store. They were about 4 inches long (less than one year old) and require a minimum of 29 gallons for one. They get up to 8+ inches and I decided that if they hadn't been stunted it was best to take them somewhere where they could grow in a good size tank. A 20 gallon is the max for me. The pet store traded me for some smaller species and I am still waiting on them.

Hi haley10384,
Sounds like you have a game plan!
Good luck with the new arrivals!

Dennis

Blood parrot's can easily grow to around 10" but they are fairly slow growers with a rate from one quarter to half a inch per month. Do you have any pictures? How large are the fish now? Either way the fish need to be rehomed to a larger tank.

Thank you DiscusDennis!! I am excitedly waiting!

And HIKUS, I agree! They have already been rehomed to a bigger tank and I even sent them with their favorite hiding stump and tunnel. They were only about 4 inches, but because I couldn't find anything on their growth rate and it seemed that most fish grew to their full size within the first year or two I decided there was a good chance they had plenty of time to grow. The whole stunted body with growing organs sounded quite painful to me and once I found out they were under a year old I just couldn't keep them and put them through that. Thanks for your reply!

Blood parrot's can easily grow to around 10" but they are fairly slow growers with a rate from one quarter to half a inch per month. Do you have any pictures? How large are the fish now? Either way the fish need to be rehomed to a larger tank.

Probably should have quoted this so I got your screen name right. SORRY!!

<---- obviously a newbie. . .

Thanks HUKIT,
I was way off regarding those Parrots. Learning new things everyday!

Dennis

Probably should have quoted this so I got your screen name right. SORRY!!

<---- obviously a newbie. . .

I seen that and said to myself haley10384 was probably just in a hurry.
You're learning new things too...(lol)

Take care,
Dennis

Back
Top Bottom