Blood Parrot Concerns....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ShawnMMcKenna

Aquarium Advice Regular
My wife fell in love with these blood parrots she saw at the LFS. They seemed to be very active, and in good health. We bought two of them, brought them home to an established aquarium, and they lost all of thier activity. Thier color is still great, they dont appear to be sick, but all they do is lay around and barely move. I put some dither fish in with them, but no change. I moved them to another established tank tonight and at first they swam all around the tank and were very active. After an hour, all they do is lay around. This has been going on for a week now, and I am running out of ideas....anyone have any?

Thanks,

Shawn

My water parameters are on the mark. I did some deeper research and apparantly it can take them over a month to c"come out of thier shell". I guess we will see......

Put in some plants so that they have some shelter. Maybe sub-due the lighting a bit and give them a varied diet of frozen/pellets. The will bounce back. Just make sure your water quality is good and that there isn't another fish in there picking on them. Blood parrots in general are not very active fish but should move around somewhat.

hey man .....that's what they usually do....they are very shy fish.....i have three and i'm trying to find out what other fish to put with them.......once you put tank mates with them then they will come out and swim around more.......

Blood Parrots are awesome fish, we have one in our 29gl tank and hehas been pretty active since day 1.... we have him with other african cichlids but he is the big boy in the tank, all the other cichlids are 1.5-2in max and the BP is id say 4in or bigger, once the other mature they will be going to a 75+ tank

Test your ph it important you might want to add some stress coat

Back
Top Bottom