Blue Crayfish and other fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

spyyro

Aquarium Advice Regular
I just purchased a Blue Crayfish to go in my tank and now I'm a little concerned that he will attempt to eat some of my fish. The guy at the fish store told me that they can possibly try and catch smaller fish but he's seen them be ok in tanks as well... with fish larger than them. The only fish I'm worried about him messing with really is my Black Ghost Knife. I know they both use hiding spots and I know just the place he will go for... the same cave my BGK resides in. Does anyone think he will go after the BGK as I know they are blind... or does that even matter? The crayfish is about 2.5 inches and my BGK is around 4 inches. I actually just noticed he is missing a couple of legs so he's going back anyway but should I just not get another?

From what I hear, those things will attach anything they can get their claws on and make it lunch. I've never kept either species, but the slow/gentle nature of the BGK I would that thing will get snapped up the first chance the crayfish gets.

I had a Blue Crayfish. Before I gave him to my friend I also had two Chinese Algae Eaters. One disappeared one day, and my crayfish looked especially happy.

I actually just noticed he is missing a couple of legs so he's going back anyway but should I just not get another?
No, you should not get another.

Did you do any sort of research before you bought it?

no way, the crayfish is a stomach with claws, they are mean as snot, thats why I'm gettin one lol he's gonna ahve his own special tank lol

if you want something that looks like that but will be ok with fish, see if you can get a blue wood shrimp (Atya gabonensis). They are even safe with fry. I have one of these guys. He hides a lot during the day, but still love him.

If you still want to keep the crayfish, he will molt in about two weeks. Well mine was molting every two weeks or so. He will have legs by the next molt and they will continue to grow to the same size as the other legs as he molts more. My crayfish had no right claw when I get him. His name was, of course, Righty.

Back
Top Bottom