blue gouramis HELP!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

aimee

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I am new to the fish hobby. i have 2 tanks. one is currently cycling. the other is a 25 gallon glass aquarium. i have 2 live plants and some fake plant. i have gravel and 2 homemade caves. in that tank i have 2 cory catfish about 1/2 in long. and a 4 inch pleco. then i also have my 2 blue gouramis. that all live in the tank. and they are all happy. the tempurature is 77F. when i got the gouramis, they were practiacally white with the *3 spots*. now the male is VERY dark blue, and the female has a blue tint to her. i was told that it means that they are getting ready to breed. i was also told to place a styrofoam cup, cut in half the long way in it. and tape it to the top of the water and the top of the cup to the side. the cut egde about 1/8 inch in the water, and the male would make his nest in there. well, there has been nothing. he chases her around the tank for a few minutes at a time. and still nothing. i have even slowly raised the temp of the water. and still nothing. i have even added water very slowly to similate a small gentle rainfall to try and put them in the mood. and still nothing. i am getting 2 more female blue gouramis next week. shoule i place all 3 females in the tank with the male or just wait until the first female breeds. either way, i want this female to breed. they are showing all the signs and still nothing. i feed them small amounts 2 times a day, i dont know what else to do, the male checks out the cup very often. they dont get disturbed. and the light is only on for 10 hours a day during the day. and thats it. i am currently filtering a tank that has 6 inches of water in it. there is a cup in it as well. i read that it will stimulate the spawning. i have them in the tank. i did have the filter running but not only was it loud, but it was causing too mcuh surface movemant. so i shut ot off. i now have a very gentle aircurtain running. I NEED HELP. PLEASE!!! i have a filter, and heater and all the stuff. i just cant get them to breed. what is going on. what can i do?

Back
Top Bottom