Blue green aglae/slime how to get rid of it ??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

clearpilot17

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
My tank is looking like and greeny blue slime tank

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Last edited by a moderator:
API Erythromycin
Siphon out as much BG algae as possible prior to treatment. Treat for five days. Product will continue to kill off BG algae after days

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I recently had a cyano outbreak myself. It looked just like yours does. It was the beautiful cyan blue slimy smelly stuff.

Before deciding on a course of action I did a lot of googling. I also read every cyano thread I could find here.

Before I go further, my water parameters were/are excellent. If anything my nitrate is a little on the low side at 5 ppm. Since cyano can fix its own nitrogen low nitrate will not necessarily keep you from getting it

Personally, I look at erythromycin as overkill. I see it as using a blow torch to light a candle. That said, there is no doubt that it works.

One thing I read repeatedly about cyano is that if you do not cure the underlying cause it will return.

Another thing I read repeatedly is that increasing the O2 levels and circulation in the tank may cure your cyano with no further action.

First, I did what just about everybody does. That is to hand clean and siphon out and as much of the cyano as I could. I then added an air stone. That is something I hadn't had. I have a canister filter so I can't adjust the waterfall or something and I don't have the spray bar. I already had an air pump sitting around so it was just as easy to drop in an air stone.

There was an improvement. However the cyano did come back and that's not unusual. So once again I hand cleaned. I siphoned and netted out any loose pieces I could. I was able to get a lot of it off of my live plants by fanning them with the same credit card that I used to scrape algae off the acrylic tank. It actually will blow right off. I did a 50% water change at the same time just for good measure.

What killed my cyano, and I haven't seen any for several weeks, is to treat the whole tank with a mild dose of hydrogen peroxide 3%. This is the hydrogen peroxide that is available on the shelves of most drug stores.

Testing has proven that this treatment did not affect the beneficial bacteria in the filter and I see no harm to fish or any invertebrates including the pond snails.

In fact, I think with the cyano gone the pond snails are more healthy than ever. They are back to doing a yeomans job on the normal algae.

A dose of less than 2 mL per gallon is considered safe. I dumped this in with the filter running lights on and everything. In my case I have a 29 gallon tank and I used 45 ml. (Please note that this was probably about 1.8 ml per gallon because the tank always holds less water in actuality.)

I read a lot about spot treatments and a little bit about whole tank treatment, and I found the whole tank treatment fast, easy and effective.

One treatment got rid of 90% of the cyano. A second treatment two days later got rid of the rest of it.

The hydrogen peroxide quickly breaks down into oxygen and water. Because I use a safe dosage, I did not do any water changes after treatment.

Anytime you treat a tank with any substance or medication it is important to be careful. People have killed fish using hydrogen peroxide at too high a dose. I don't want to scare anybody, but I also do not want anybody to kill their fish.

When I started this journey I really didn't know it was going to be that easy to get rid of my cyano. The advantage to this treatment is that it is inexpensive, it does not require removing filter media, it does not damage the beneficial bacteria (this was my personal experience but many other accounts confirm this), and it does not hurt the fish and inverts at this level.

I would urge anyone with a freshwater cyano problem to do their own study and reading. The number one thing to remember is that you need to identify and correct the underlying cause. In my case, I think of that boosting the overall oxygen and circulation of the water was the cure to the underlying cause. Then the manual removal and the peroxide treatment was a one two punch that knocked it out.

I hope that my experience is helpful or at least food for thought and/or debate.

Last edited:
API Erythromycin
Siphon out as much BG algae as possible prior to treatment. Treat for five days. Product will continue to kill off BG algae after days

This is my method of dealing with BGA. Especially if it looks as widespread as yours. But if, after the treatment, it starts to spring its ugly head again, I'll do a blackout with h2o2 spot treatment and it works to keep it at bay.

Nice write up, Coryluv. The antibiotic route made more sense in my heavily planted tank. The increased aeration would drive out a lot of the CO2 that I am injecting.

Usually caused by lack of nitrates in the tank, and low water flow... Increase the water flow in the tank and measure your nitrates if they are super low then start dosing ferts and or increase feedings in the tank to increase nitrates, also increase the water flow.

I usually see Blye green/cyno in smaller betta tanks because the flow is too low in those tanks..

Nice write up, Coryluv. The antibiotic route made more sense in my heavily planted tank. The increased aeration would drive out a lot of the CO2 that I am injecting.

Thanks. That means a coming from someone who's experience I really respect.

(I respect Brian_Nano12g's experience a lot also, just for the record)

I went a little harsh on erythromycin there. Of course there is a time and a place for everything. There is a reason I do more study and reading than posting ;)

I agree. If you are injecting CO2 the antibiotic route makes more sense for sure.

I appreciate you sharing alternative methods of dealing with BGA and what works for you. I agree with Fresh, that was a thorough and good write-up. If you can knock out the BGA without pricey antibiotics and utilize preventative root-cause tactics, then I'm all for it. Most of my tanks are co2 injected as well. We'll have to cater to the circumstances.

I appreciate you sharing alternative methods of dealing with BGA and what works for you. I agree with Fresh, that was a thorough and good write-up. If you can knock out the BGA without pricey antibiotics and utilize preventative root-cause tactics, then I'm all for it. Most of my tanks are co2 injected as well. We'll have to cater to the circumstances.

Thanks! Very kind of you. I definitely agree on catering to the circumstances.

hydrogen peroxide the 3% bottle ? Or there's 12% ??

3%. I get mine at Sam's club, but you can get it almost anywhere that has a pharmacy or first aid section to the store.

Okay thanks so 3% bottle 1.8ml per gallon so I have a 55l tank so 12gallon so would be 21.5ml of hydrogen peroxide??

Sounds reasonable. As long as you don't go over 2 ml per gallon you will be fine. It does not have to be precisely 1.8, that's just what mine came out to. Truth is I used measuring spoons and used 3T. 1 T is about 15 ml. Go just a little under 2 ml per gallon so if you've miscalculated your exact water volume you are still on the safe side.

Let me know how it works for you.

That's done how long does it take 24hours to start to work?

Give it a day. The old stuff will probably look less slimy and very dark, but it is more a matter of new stuff not coming back if it is working as expected. Clean up any "leftovers" and redose on the second day. If it hasn't come back two days after that you are probably done. If it does then yes, it's time to bring out the big guns of erythromycin.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom