Blue Hippo Tangs in a 90G

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
i guess i am realizing i like pretty much any fish that is yellow in color.. maybe there is one that fits this description that will work that you guys know of?

Yellow wrasse
Candy hogfish
Yellow prawn (watchman) goby
Sunset anthias (larger aquarium needed if keeping multiple)
Yellow or Lemonpeel angelfish

And the list goes on... Happy hunting :)

i also heard there were fish that di interestig things like dig in the sand.. which ones dig in the sand that would be reef compatable and easy-moderate to keep?

Look I really don't care much for the "TANG POLICE" I had a 90g with 1-blue hippo tang,2 yellow tangs, mind you they were only 3" but I had them for a year .... It takes a while for them to grow out the 90g and 4' is good swimming for them in a aquarium.... Now there will come a time when you will have to get rid of them and that's the part that sucks!

DA fisherman said:
Look I really don't care much for the "TANG POLICE" I had a 90g with 1-blue hippo tang,2 yellow tangs, mind you they were only 3" but I had them for a year .... It takes a while for them to grow out the 90g and 4' is good swimming for them in a aquarium.... Now there will come a time when you will have to get rid of them and that's the part that sucks!

Or the case could be that there is not enough space for them to grow, and they are being stunted.

After having to catch my powder brown tang and watching just how stressed out he got, id NEVER recommend buying a tang with upgrading in the future as a requirement...even more so with the B.H.T.... they are unbelievably fast and i wouldnt doubt that he would get sick afterwards due to the stress. Not to mention that upgrading in a year or so, youre going to screw up a decently established tank and could have problems from that. If you truly want the Hippo, simply sell the current 90g and get 125 or bigger. yes itll suck now, but once you have a bigger tank...and every fish you want, youll be more than happy

Exactly!!!! Good post Huma-Huma!

I hear folks say all the time, "oh, "ill just catch him and put him in another tank". That's a LOT of stress on both the catcher and the caught.

Yea, am gonna do a yellow tang instead. Just asking about other fish now :)

Bloomk said:
is he reef safe? and what breed is he?

Yep, he is reef safe, here is one of my two. What do you mean by breed?

Attachments

• image-2653685305.jpg
    image-2653685305.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 89
like when i go to the fish store i have to know what it is called :)

They are normally just referred to as Coeaner Shrimp. Sometimes they are called scarlet cleaner shrimp.

How any shrimp can u have? Is to a ratio between shrimp and fish?

redsea said:
Shrimp really don't have that much Bioload, so you can have a pretty good amount.

Define "pretty good amount" lol 2?4? 6? 8? Lol

If you like color you'll like the fire red cleaner. Look up that, then look up the skunk. You'll see. :)

In a 90, I'd do no more than 4 and be ok if one didn't make it past acclimation.

Cost more though.

As far as the Tang debate goes, overly stressing out a fish is 1) a waste of your time and money and 2) more importantly, why get a fish if you do not house the proper accommodations.
As far as shrimp go, I have two cleaner shrimp and two fire shrimp in my 120 reef tank and they are absolutely beautiful. The fire shrimp are very very shy though, usually they hang back in the shadows, the scurry out for food real quickly and than run back to the rocks.

Back
Top Bottom