Blue Powder Gourami help required

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FunnyFish

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi there, I am new to this forum and need some more recent help :)

I have 3 powder blue DG, 2 males and 1 female. I had the 3 of them in a community tank (20G) with some bleeding heart tetra, red eye tetra and black phantom. They were doing great and all very compatible. I upgraded my tank to a 33G and now I bully male, chasing the other male, harassing the female and other fish...literally darting after them from across the tank. I have removed the bully, but the other male still attacks the female chasing her away if she gets too close.

I'm frustrated that the pet store allowed me to buy these if this is what can happen, but now I'm not sure what I should do. I've tried to rearrange the tank and all my plants are tall. Will the male and female learn to get along? Do I get rid of the bully in the separate tank? (It's not large enough to keep him there permanently) Or should I be getting rid of the female too? Any help is appreciated.

Tank info:
33G - 2 filters (50 and 70G)
3 bleeding heart
2 DG
2 black skirt
1 phantom
3 red eye

Hi,

You just cannot trust the fish store people to give you honest advice. From what I read and my experience, dwarf gourami do not get along and is best to only have one in a tank. I'm afraid the one will harass the other until the harassed one dies. If possible take the dominant one back to the store or rehome it somehow.

Honey gourami are generally peaceful, for future choices. Only one male though. This rule applies to many species in an enclosed tank where they cannot get away from each other.

Sorry for disappointing advice. Good luck.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

There is nothing you can do, those two DG together is a bad idea. I've been there, 2 in a 36g and they destroyed each other eventually. I would get rid of one. And possibly think about making sure the other fish aren't too big and colorful. DG remind me of betta in that way, they like to be the prettiest fish in the tank!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom