Blue tang growth rate

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Vato805

Aquarium Advice Newbie
im looking to purchasing a blue tang, im faced with the dillema of a small one for 40 bucks or a medium one for 80, how long would it do take to grow from 1 1/2inch to a medium size 3 inches per say? or should i just go with the 80 dollar one?

im looking to purchasing a blue tang, im faced with the dillema of a small one for 40 bucks or a medium one for 80, how long would it do take to grow from 1 1/2inch to a medium size 3 inches per say? or should i just go with the 80 dollar one?

they grew very fast i had to take mine back within a year from when i purchase it i bought it when it was like 2 inches and it got too big for my 75 gal fast i mean fast.

They do grow quite fast and dont believe the story that they grow to their surroundings. They will grow and if the smaller tank causes health issues the fish will develope HLLE and parasite problems and bacterial issues. I personally would not suggest a blue hippo tang in a 55 gallon tank.JMO

They do grow quite fast and dont believe the story that they grow to their surroundings. They will grow and if the smaller tank causes health issues the fish will develope HLLE and parasite problems and bacterial issues. I personally would not suggest a blue hippo tang in a 55 gallon tank.JMO

I don't know much about the 'grow as large as their surroundings' myth, or perhaps it only applies to certain fish. But my childhood goldfish has been in his 20 gallon aquarium with his 4 friends for around 20 years now. (his friends only around 14 years).. then they were relocated into my 90 gallon (still cold-water) when I was setting it up and selling my 20 gallon. In around 6 months they all grew at a ridiculously fast rate. The fish were around 5" and the rest around 3". The big guy grew to around 8" and the rest around 5". Then I finally figured these guys are never going to die... and sold them to my LFS before moving to my tropical setup.. (and now my latest move to a SW setup in the same 90g.)

Dear Justin

Goldfish tend to grow according to their environment, the more fish or small aquarium retard their growth (but sometimes U get the odd one). I kept blue tang and they do grow fast, but when I move on from 55g to 168g I lost the fish. So now not sure. But what I do know is the some freshwater fish do not care the size of the aquarium as long as there is foood it will grow eg, african catfish, arowana, giant gourami, snake head and redtail catfish to name a few.

I dont know much about goldfish but alot of people put fish in a smaller tank thinking that that they are stunting their growth. And in a way they are but not to the extent they think they are. As I stated earlier the fish will come down with several possible problems like Diseases and parasites from a weakened immune system. The fish might not get as big as it should but only because of sickness and disease. I had a guy on this site good while back named Steve S and he gave me the perfect explanation but I cant find it. This guy was one of the best I`ve ever seen and the thread was about a yellow tang in a 55 and the question was asked about a fish growing to its surrounding. Anybody maybe know where that thread is?

I found it. Read this

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f45/yellow-tang-in-a-55g-52207.html

Last edited:
Dear Justin

Goldfish tend to grow according to their environment, the more fish or small aquarium retard their growth (but sometimes U get the odd one). I kept blue tang and they do grow fast, but when I move on from 55g to 168g I lost the fish. So now not sure. But what I do know is the some freshwater fish do not care the size of the aquarium as long as there is foood it will grow eg, african catfish, arowana, giant gourami, snake head and redtail catfish to name a few.

I agree, when I went to a freshwater 90g tropical, a lot of those fish had to be taken to the LFS as they outgrew the aquarium. My prized fish was a giant red finned gourami, the 3rd to ever be taken into captivity after their recent discovery in the wild... he outgrew my 90g mighty quick, kicking out two Oscars, and green severums, he continued to 15" in a 180g until around 6 weeks ago when I sold him at the LFS and began transforming my 90g aquarium to SW, and selling my 180g to raise money for the equipment. I've had FW catfish outgrow the aquarium, amongst other fish.

I dont know much about goldfish but alot of people put fish in a smaller tank thinking that that they are stunting their growth. And in a way they are but not to the extent they think they are. As I stated earlier the fish will come down with several possible problems like Diseases and parasites from a weakened immune system. The fish might not get as big as it should but only because of sickness and disease. I had a guy on this site good while back named Steve S and he gave me the perfect explanation but I cant find it. This guy was one of the best I`ve ever seen and the thread was about a yellow tang in a 55 and the question was asked about a fish growing to its surrounding. Anybody maybe know where that thread is?

I found it. Read this

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f45/yellow-tang-in-a-55g-52207.html

Good expanation. I've heard a lot of theories... some saying that in a restricted environment, some fish simply won't get as much exercise to grow, others saying goldfish for example grow much quicker in a warm water environment opposed to cold water. I know my tropical fish seem to continue growing regardless of their environment, but those goldfish just stopped for years until they got an extra 70g to swim in and rapidly grew.

Back
Top Bottom