Bluethroat trigger

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

woody390

Aquarium Advice Addict
HI, I got one of these on the weekend and I know fish don't always eat straight away but I wanted to check that I'm trying with the right stuff. The Internet says to use meaty food but my lfs said to feed algae I've tried krill grazing pads and algae flakes. Should this be ok?

A friend of mine feeds his BT chunks of cocktail shrimp soaked in garlic. Never heard anyone doin algae flakes for an aggressive fish..

Thanks yeah wasn't sure but was just wondering from what lfs said and fact didn't take too much interest in the krill. Only got it yesterday though so could be that he's still not settled

Some triggers will actually eat algae sheets very readily . I had a pinktail trigger a while ago and hand fed it sheets all the time.

Are triggers the same as puffer in the fact they need hard food to grind teeth down?

Yes they are . The triggers do not need it as much as some puffer fish though. The odd hermit or snail here and there will suffice .

Would blue throats eat a snail or hermit though as they're reef safe was thinking a clam every so often?

I wouldn't count on the trigger being invert safe just coral safe. If it doesn't eat them ( which I don't see happening ) clams will be fine as well as shrimp with the shell still on it .

Yeah not counting on it being invert safe will be fish and coral only in the tank. Yeah I'll try that but I'm guessing all meaty foods should be ok, so brine mysis, krill, silversides etc?

Yep. Don't forget jumbo mysis ,scallops,mega marine algae (frozen food from hikari), and mussels are all other good foods.

Won't touch meat but on my algae grazing pad now lol. Least eating something :)!

He will. My blue throat cares little about veggies, but he likes our home made food with clams and shrimp in it. He also like tearing apart silversides, but I have to hold it for him!

That's good that he is eating algae. My newest Niger trigger in qt has yet to eat any algae. It does enjoy meaty foods and goes nuts for new life spectrum .

Thanks I'd guess he'll start on meaty foods soon just needs time to settle as only got him sat. Happy he's out in the open too not just hiding would really like to get him a female but heard its risky

I've had several triggers and they have all eaten algae sheets like crazy, they also eat meaty foods like crazy... And snails... And oh just about everything

Yeah he's quite happily eating both now very happy bout it :). Very very nice fish

Back
Top Bottom