Bmarine's 125 gallon Tank Journal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Getting the tank set up today! Getting the filter ready now. I only bought 1000g of ceramic media, and just figured out that its only enough to cover one of the baskets, so until i get some more media, im changing my plan for the filter.
Top: filter pads
Middle: polyfill-until i get more ceramic media
Bottom: ceramic media

Got the sand in! Question: can you use bleach to clean rock? some of my texas holey rock is full of algae or has a yellowish look and i just don't know how to clean it. A toothbrush doesnt work.

I use a tooth brush and vinegar to clean it, only use very little amount, that will leave you algae fee, soak for a day in water, then rinse it and put it back in
We want pics! We want pics!

Got the sand in! Question: can you use bleach to clean rock? some of my texas holey rock is full of algae or has a yellowish look and i just don't know how to clean it. A toothbrush doesnt work.

You can bleach it, just make sure you rinse it THOROUGHLY afterwords. Like, rinse it multiple times until you can small no bleach on the rocks. Also, check out this thread, he washed his holey rock with bleach and it brightened it up as well.

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f100/tank-questions-and-showing-off-270607-32.html#post2582760

You can bleach it, just make sure you rinse it THOROUGHLY afterwords. Like, rinse it multiple times until you can small no bleach on the rocks. Also, check out this thread, he washed his holey rock with bleach and it brightened it up as well.

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f100/tank-questions-and-showing-off-270607-32.html#post2582760

Great thanks! Just filled up the tank and started the cycle!! I took about 20 gallons from my 55 and put it in there, and exchanged a biowheel from the same tank to run on my HOB for the new one. I also added a large dose of Seachem Stabilizer. Also, I put some holey rock in that was already clean, and the rest is being rinsed! I put the unclean rock in buckets of water, added a little bit of bleach, and let them soak outside overnight, but sadly, it didnt get a ton cleaner, so i think i'm just gonna live with it.

I put a pic on my album, and no, i'm not fond of Tetra products, and Seachem Stabilizer works well.

Looking very nice!

I think they when there is black sand, white rocks look nice, and vise versa, looking very good!
I think that if what you are using is working for you, go ahead and keep it up
Nice job!

Thanks! I couldn't find any cheap black sand. And i actually like the look of the white sand and rock! Anybody have any ideas of a cheaper way to have a background?

Thanks. What do you guys think of Marineland Single Brights for the aquarium?

K well i got the the rock mostly all clean, and put it all in the tank! and the tank is up and cycling! I need to get lights yet though, but do you guys think that a 48" Glo T5-HO fixture is enough for it? Also I posted some pics of the rock in my album, do you all think thats enough rock, or do i need more?

I dont know if you need more rocks or not but it looks great! The stand looks new with the paint job.

I dont know if you need more rocks or not but it looks great! The stand looks new with the paint job.

Thanks! And yeah it looks really good! Just checked the water today.

Nitrites: 0
GH: around 75
KH: around 90
pH: 7.2
Nitrates: around 20

Checked the water again today. I got almost the exact same results as 2 days ago. I'm not sure on the ammonia count yet though. Strange huh?

Got my light! $45 for a 48" Glo Dual bulb system! And posted pics of it! All i need is a background now, and some plants!

Went to the LFS and had my water tested, its completely cycled and ready for fish! Posted a pic of my results in the album!

Back
Top Bottom