Bogwood going funny

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bracey87

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi I've had 2 pieces of small bogwood start growing a white fluffy mould which one piece I had planted java moss onto so I wasn't to happy when I had to move it to another peace as it had started attatching which seems to be a to be a different colour alot darker any ideas why it's doing this ?

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

The two pieces that went funny was like the bit on the left the one on the right is what I've jst put the moss back onto

Attachments

• 1459350389893.jpg
    1459350389893.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 73
Sorry peices likethe lighter colour one on the right went funny !!!

Hi Bracey87 Did you boil them first? I just set up a new aquarium. I bought a piece of spyderwood. Put it in the tank and filled the tank up. I started getting brown/green stringy algae all over the tank. This is a diatom. Everything I read said that it will leave once the tank cycled. I took out the spyderwood and boiled it. That didn't help. But I did do my water changes. Slowly the diatoms started going away. I just have some now in the tank. So my advise is to wait. As long as the fish are alright. This might be just the true color of the wood coming through.

No didn't boil I know I said small but to big to boil I soaked it for 48 hours changing the water after 24 hours all fish are fine tanks cycled I brought the 2 of bits together put a bit in the coldwater tank and a bit in the tropical and noticed the piece in the coldwater going off so checked the tropical and noticed the same so I've chucked them now cause I didn't want nothing upsetting the fish

very common for new driftwood to grow this stuff which I believe is either a fungus or bacteria of some sort. Should be harmless to the livestock but can be unsightly. You can try to manually remove and keep up with water changes but it should eventually start going away.

Ok thanks for the replys I will bear this in mind if it happens again thanks again :):)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom