Bogwood

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

scottbrooke

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi all bought bogwood for my tank as shop assistant told me would help bring down ph left it in water for a week then put in tank now water is turning yellow just want to know if it does really help keep ph levels down

Thanks e

Yes it will lower the ph of the water. The yellow staining is the tannic acid leaching from the bogwood. The wood probably won't cause a big ph crash, but enough to measure the adjusted PH.

Yes it will lower the ph of the water. The yellow staining is the tannic acid leaching from the bogwood. The wood probably won't cause a big ph crash, but enough to measure the adjusted PH.

Thanks good to know them at they do know what they're talking about

Just remember it slowly will lower your pH if it has any effect at all. I don't notice a difference in pH with or without driftwood as my tanks are all overstocked slightly and require a total of 50% water changed every week, causing the pH to pretty much rise back to what my tap water is.

I totally agree. All my tanks are hardscaped with limestone. One would think there would be a noticeable rise in the PH, but there's not. I also change a lot of water every week. The PH is about the same as my tap.

Back
Top Bottom