Botanist help please; general question about algae

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

malonbl

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have read from several sources that algae takes advantage of an imbalance between available light energy and available nutrients. For instance, too much light without enough carbon and other essential nutrients can often lead to an algae outbreak.

What is it about algae that allows it to outcompete plants under such scenarios? Meaning, if there aren't enough nutrients in the water for plants to grow, why will algae grow?

Using this same light and carbon example, I have seen excel, or carbon addition in general, cited as a way to control algae. Essentially saying that increasing nutrients to match available light energy will allow plants to outcompete algae.

So what is it about the biology of algae that allows it to outcompete plants when nutrients are deficient, but not thrive when nutrients are sufficient?

That's a darn good question! I know algae are more simple and efficient, I thought it was more getting everything in balance so plants can grow well.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom